Chapter 1: Or So I Thought...

--- PROLOGUE ---

• THE MAGIC ABILITIES DESCRIPTION •

The human body, in addition to its standard anatomical structure, also has an additional, magical element – the so-called magical fluid. This is a subtle, immaterial substance that flows through the veins together with the blood, nourishing the internal magical energy. However, not everyone is born with this Ability – some people have it, and some do not.

The amount of this magical fluid depends primarily on the genes that are inherited from parents and ancestors. People whose parents have strong Magic Abilities usually inherit a larger amount of magical fluid. In practice, this means that they are more predisposed to develop a unique, strong Magic Ability, which is often associated with the genetic line – Abilities that have a certain pattern in the family.

However, if one of the parents does not have any Magic Abilities, the risk of the child not having a Magic Ability increases. It is the genes that are responsible for whether we will be able to use magic in the future.

Anyone who has the right amount of magical fluid usually discovers their Magic Ability around the age of 10. This is when the first changes in body and mind occur - usually, colorful magical flashes of energy begin to be visible from the palms of the hands, which signal that the person has magical potential. (Each person has their own individual magic color). However, if after this age someone shows no signs of Magic Abilities, they are considered Non-Magic - meaning they have no active Magical Abilities.

That fatal faith, has appeared in a life of one individual... Making his life, a real nightmare since he was a child...

--- END OF PROLOGUE ---

Tokyo.

Above the clouds of the Japanese metropolis, dark thunderclouds stretched, from which heavy rain was falling continuously.

It was the middle of the week. Everyone was trying to escape this terrible April weather.
The people in the subway barely fit in the train. Squeezed between each other like sardines in a tight can. Fear of getting wet troubled almost everyone...
With such tragic weather, it seemed that no one wanted to leave the house...

However... One man didn't seem to mind the weather.

This man's name was Sekiguchi Seiji -
He was a Japanese man of average height, with fluffy platinum-blonde hair, wide darker blonde eyebrows and thick visible black eyelashes that accentuated his navy-blue eyes.

In his left hand, he held a piece of paper folded in four. It was a suicide note. Seiji was walking slowly towards the high skyscraper, passing by random people who rushed to the nearest subway station to avoid getting wet.

The relentless rain drenched his clothes completely. Water was dripping down the ends of his hair. He looked as if he had had enough of everything, mercilessly tired of something...
The blond-haired man looked at his letter again and read it in his mind

'Soon I won't be here...' he thought, then put the letter in his pants pocket and continued his march.

Suddenly, a light flashed in his eyes.

Around him there was nothing but local shops, apartment buildings and a dark alley between two unspecified buildings.

Thinking that the light was coming from this place, he moved closer, being cautious. He was sure someone was trying to get his attention, but as he approached the dark, shadowy area, he didn't see anyone...

Seiji shrugged, thinking he was probably just imagining it.

He was about to continue when suddenly the same flash appeared before his eyes again. This time he was sure it was coming from the alley.

With slightly hesitant steps, he moved deeper into it.

This time, however, he saw a figure standing on two legs. It was a man.

The person began to slowly walk towards him. With each step, his silhouette became more and more visible.

He was a short, adult man, also Japanese, visibly emaciated. He had long, brown, messy hair and a visible small scar on right side of his neck. His eyes were a deep, bloody red with small pupils that were almost invisible... The longer Seiji looked into his eyes, the more he felt an inexplicable fear gripping him... Additionally, he had a terrifying smile on his face...

His clothes were mostly torn, with huge holes, making him look like a homeless person, but what caught Seiji's attention the most was the bloody knife in his right hand...

Suddenly, the man rushed towards Seiji.

At first Seiji flinched, he instinctively wanted to run away, but then he realized that despite the terrible appearance of the person with the knife, he had an opportunity he couldn't miss...

He might have died sooner than he planned.

He looked around to see if there were any witnesses, then came a little deeper into the alley... When he was already in the chosen place, he only sighed. "Apparently I was allowed to die from this man... Well... Goodbye... Everyone..."

Ready for the stab, he closed his eyes and positioned himself to make it quick and effective. He heard his killer's footsteps getting louder... His breathing quickened with Seiji's heartbeat. The torturer raised his hand to attack when suddenly...

Seiji heard a loud thud.

He opened his eyes and looked down. The murderer lay beside him. He looked like he had suddenly fainted. Suddenly, a loud growl erupted from the killer's stomach.
Seiji didn't know what just happened...

'Huh..? Does he... He won't kill me though?'

He crouched beside his would-be killer. He started shaking him to wake him up.

"Hey.. you... get up. Are you alive?"

There was no sign of life from the brown-haired man.

Seiji sighed again "Looks like it's the building that will let me die after all..."

He turned around and lifted his leg to keep walking, but at that moment, the killer gripped him hard by the leg. Blonde-haired man looked at the assassin at his feet.

"What is it..? Do you want to kill me anyways?"

"D-Die.." - a soft moan escaped the killer's mouth.

Seiji sighed "You know, words alone won't kill me... and judging by the sounds your belly made, you can't do it with an empty stomach either."

"Die you dick!" A little louder, but just as impotently, more words came out of his mouth.

The murderer tried to stab the knife into Seiji's legs, but he was too weak and too tired to even aim properly. He tried to look up at his prey but barely managed to do so.

Suddenly his hand fell limp to the ground.

Seiji looked at him 'Did... Did he pass out..?' he thought to himself. "You really want to kill me... huh?" Seiji looked him over.

The shirt of the short man and part of the pants had traces of dried blood.
As well as the blade of the knife which was all covered in it...

'Judging from how he and his weapon looks like... he may already has some sort of kill counter... ' Seiji thought. 'Maybe it's not the best idea to leave him here... it seems like he stubbornly wants to kill me after all... If I don't help him, he'll starve to death...'

Seiji raised the assassin's hand. He lifted it lightly and then, picked him up carefully, throwing him over his shoulder. The assassin wasn't as heavy as Seiji thought he would be.

'Just skin and bones.'

"Well... As I mentioned before, you can't do this on an empty stomach... Eh.. I'll take you to my place..." he said to the man on his back, and turned back towards his apartment.

However, he didn't notice that his note had fallen out of his pocket and was slowly dissolved by the raindrops that bombarded it mercilessly...