Chapter 47: Kyoto

Seiji glanced at the clock on his desk, the ticking seconds heightening his anticipation. It was Friday evening - Valentine's Day and with that, the office was beginning to quickly empty out.
Beside Seiji, there was Ken as well, finishing up some last-minute tasks beside him.

"Almost ready?" Ken asked, a grin spreading across his face.

"Yeah, just wrapping up this email," Seiji replied, typing rapidly. "Rika's already home, right?"

"Yep, she texted me earlier. All the things are packed now. When I get home, we'll head straight to the bus station. She doesn't know anything about it! Hehe!" Ken said, excitedly stretching his arms above his head.

Seiji nodded.

"How about Miyahara?" Ken asked.

"He's at the apartment, getting everything ready for us. I asked if he needed any help, but he insisted on doing it himself."

Ken chuckled. "Well, if he insisted. I personally wouldn't want to argue about anything with him anymore soon. Who knows what he could do to me..."

"Yeah... No one would like to mess up with a real serial killer."

"Exactly! But you know... Even despite who he is... I'm wondering... You think he's nervous about the trip? You said he's been acting pretty paranoid after you told him about it..."

Seiji paused, considering. "Maybe a little. It's been a while since he's been back to Kyoto, especially to see his family."

Ken nodded thoughtfully. "I can understand that. We'll make sure he has a good time there too. And now... Mr. Sekiguchi... Are you ready to head out?" Ken asked partly-playfully.

"Absolutely, Mr. Kiminawa, hehe." Seiji said equally witty, shutting down his computer and standing up. "Let's go surprise Rika."

With their workday finally over, Seiji and Ken grabbed their bags and headed out.

In the apartment, Hideaki was kneeling over the backpacks that contained everything he had packed for the trip. His look was full of concern. Just thinking about the fact that he would soon be riding the bus back to Kyoto made his throat tighten.

Suddenly he heard the apartment door opening. It was Seiji. After taking his shoes off, he walked up to Hideaki and lightly nudged his shoulder, "Ready for the trip?" he asked with excitement in his voice.

Hideaki swallowed and replied hesitantly, "Y-yes..."

Seiji noticed the uncertainty in his roommate's voice. "Hey, what's wrong..?"

"Um.. N-nothing you i-idiot! I... j-just..."

"Still nervous about meeting your parents again?"

Hideaki nodded angered.

Seiji sighed and gave him a reassuring pat on the back. "Relax. It'll be fine. I know it."

"How can you be so sure about it? You don't know them!"

"But I know you. And I know you can do it."

"Tch!" the killer hissed in respond.

"I'm gonna change clothes and then we'll head out to the bus station, alright?"

"Y-yeah..."

"Alright! I'll be right back then!" and with saying that, Seiji disappeared behind his bedroom doors.

***

As they all approached the bus station, Rika looked around, puzzled. "Why are we here so late?" she asked.