3 | ISLAND LIFE

Outer Banks, the BeachJuly 8th, 20206:08pm

July 8th, 2020
6:08pm

I glanced down at my feet as I walked on the sand, music blasting through the speakers, covering people's loud voices and laughters. My brother was already with our friends, but since I needed more time to get ready and he was impatient, he had left without me. I stepped towards them and lifted my hand up, waving softly when they saw me and smiles grew on their faces.

"Hi pretty girl," Pope opened his arms for me when I came closer.

I hugged him softly and greeted all of them with handshakes (except for John B since I had already seen him way too much). Kiara's long curly hair fell over her shoulders and she was wearing small earrings framing her face, making her look even more beautiful. She smiled at me and gave me a drink which I didn't decline, remembering just how we had struggled to  take the keg and smaller barrels to the Chateau on the previous day.

Of course, the boys had insisted on taking the beer to the beach themselves for the Kegger, probably to prove their masculinity and strength, which we didn't complain about at all. "You can't be on time, can you?" Kiara chuckled, looking at me.

"She was getting ready," John B explained, throwing me a scornful glance.

"Excuse me, I just wanted to look my best for my friends. I worked all day, I didn't want to come here sweaty," I stated.

JJ laughed in advance, as if he just knew his next words would be funny. "Well, you could have spent less time in the bathroom we wouldn't have seen the difference, Janel," he joked, which I knew he didn't mean at all.

I opened my mouth in a fake shocked expression as everyone around us bursted out in laugh. To apologise, JJ wrapped an arm around my shoulders which I snapped away quickly. "Get off me Maybank," I told him.

I drank a sip of my beer and looked at the group of people playing beach volleyball a little bit further away. Everyone seemed to have fun, and I was so glad we didn't listen to Pope and John B on that one. A blonde girl came closer from my brother and touched his arm to get his attention. I could see she was being flirty and it made me giggle because John B had no idea how to flirt with girls and I knew we would witness an embarrassing scene. "Hey, wanna play beer pong with us?" she pointed at her two friends.

"Y-yeah, sure, why not. You guys are coming?" he asked us, which was more than clumsy.

"Yeah su-" JJ began but I pinched his arm and widened my eyes. "No, I mean, it's not really our thing"

"Yeah, go have fun with them, we're fine here," I reassured my brother who thanked me with a frank smile, which I returned.

Once he was far enough, I let go of JJ's arm, and everyone's eyes turned to focus on JJ who had almost ruined everything. He lifted his arms up to show his innocence and spoke up. "He's the one who asked first!" he defended himself.