6 | BLACKMAILED

Outer Banks, the ChateauJuly 10th, 202011:34am

July 10th, 2020
11:34am

Summer mornings were always calming and relaxing. I woke up this morning, taking my time to enjoy the process of getting ready in the bathroom, brushing my hair and slathering myself with monoï oil so I'd smell good. Then I slid on a comfortable cerise pink blouse, over a pair of jean shorts. I lifted my hair up in a messy bun and walked out of the small bathroom, joining my twin brother in the living-room. "Hi John B," I greeted.

He kissed the top of my head as a silent way to greet me and handed me a package on which was written my name. I frowned and grabbed it. "It's for you, it arrived this morning," he said.

I thanked him and sat on the couch, opening it softly, under my brother's perplex eyes. I first noticed a white Ralph Lauren polo, so I thought there was a delivery error, but when I grabbed the small card which was underneath it, my heart dropped. On it was written:

«I hope now you accept my apologies, here's a new polo until I stain it again. RC»

I gasped and put the small card back in the box, before throwing a rapid glance at John B, trying not to pay attention to my burning cheeks. "What is it?" he asked.

"Must be an error, I'll just return it," were the only words I managed to leave out.

John B narrowed his eyes and pursed his lips in a line before walking away, probably not understanding why I was so embarrassed about a delivery error. When he left the room, I slid on my shoes and hurried outside, where I found my bicycle. I jumped on it and rode over to Figure-Eight, the holding the box as I could. I hated more than anything to be treated by Kooks like a poor Pogue who couldn't even provide herself food nor clothes.

I worked all year to make sure John B and I didn't lack of anything, and so did my brother, so I didn't need or want to be taken care of by a Kook like Rafe. I arrived in TannyHill sooner than I thought and jumped off my bicycle when I reached the gate of Ward Cameron's huge mansion. I looked around and stepped over the front door, where I rung the bell.

Just like I feared, Ward Cameron was the one showing up, staring up and down at me, before a huge smile grew on his lips, I wasn't really sure why yet. "J-Janel, right?" he asked.

"Hi yes, Janel Routledge," I held out my hand for him to shake it, which made him laugh but shake it anyway. "Do you know where I can find Rafe?"

"Oh- well yeah, he's outside, by the pool. I'm sure he'll be glad you're visiting him," he smiled.

"I'm not visiting him- I- I just have a package for him," I justified. "Thank you, see you soon"

Before things could get more awkward I walked to their pool, or at least to where I believed it was. When I caught glimpse of Rafe's shirtless figure, a glass in his hand, sitting alone by the pool, I figured I was at the right place. I walked down the few steps which led to the pool area and smiled when I noticed he didn't see me.