26 | MAKING HIM JEALOUS

Outer Banks, the WreckJuly 26th, 202011:58am

July 26th, 2020
11:58am

If only I was a Kook, if only I didn't live in a small shack, I wouldn't have been constrained to work almost everyday in the most crowded restaurant on the island. I would have been able to hang out with my friends more than dealing with shitty customers or dishes to wash. The Wreck was my favorite place to go with my friends when I was younger, because Mike always gave us free food and we had spent so many memorable nights there, but I began to truly hate this restaurant.

I knew the recipes by heart even if I wasn't a cook, I knew the order of the dishes on the menu, remembered what regular customers ordered, I was on verge of going crazy. I was once again behind the counter when three young men approached, so I faked a smile and tightened the knot of my apron.

"Hello, a table for three?" I asked, my eyes skimming through the room, looking for a table I could lead them to.

"No, actually, we're just here to let you know we're throwing a Kegger tonight so if you don't work, we'd be more than happy to see you there," one of them told me, which I found pretty nice.

I knew Keggers gathered a lot of people and it was always a great way to have fun, so I smiled at the thought of partying all night and getting drunk. "Can I bring my friends?" I inquired.

"Yes of course, we'll see you there," the man announced.

I watched them leaving, a big smile on my lips, before taking care of other customers, thinking about the great evening ahead of me. The place was crowded so I was pretty much running everywhere when I saw a group of men walking in the restaurant, waiting for anyone to come welcome them. I made my way to them and when I noticed who it was, I couldn't believe it.

Barry stood there, with a few of his friends, who all looked as dirty and disgusting as him. I faked a soft smile and tried to stay consistent as I reached them. "Hello, will you follow me please?" I voiced.

I led them to a table and they sat around it, but before I could leave, my eyes met Barry's, and I understood it was too late to run away and hide from him. "No way! Country Club's girl! I had no idea you worked here," he cheered a little too loudly.

"Well, now you know," I shrugged.

"How are things going, did he sing you a serenade and give you flowers?" he made fun of Rafe for no reason. "Guys you have no idea, the man's whipped, she got him wrapped around her finger. Princess, I think what he did is messed up but you should forgive him"

I laughed bitterly and rolled eyes, since whatever was happening seemed surreal to me. Barry didn't really know Rafe outside of drugs and I didn't really expect him to give me relationship advices, or even to know about my existence. The very only times I had been around him, it was just to pick up Luke and I was pretty sure he had never even seen my face.