Chapter 7

Third POV

"A game?"

Sonic asked, subconsciously tilting his head in the process. Shadow's expression eased a bit as he ran his hand through his quills again, dropping his hands to his sides after.

"Your going to be here for a while, might as well develop a skill while your here..."

Shadow spoke, his words fading as he left the living room to his bedroom. Sonic straightened his back to try and catch a glimpse at Shadows room, but to no avail Shadow closed the door the second he slipped through the door frame. A few moments passed before Shadow came out his room again, a black shoe box in one arm and a book,box and music played in the other. Shadow rested his chin on the stack of items to keep its balance. He carelessly dropped the shoe box on the coffee table beside Sonic, gently placing down the box,book and music player in his other arm.

"How good are you at strategical thinking?"

Shadow asked with a small grin, keeping his eyes focused on the box underneath the book.

"I'm a master at it! Why do you ask though?"

Sonic beamed, resting his hand on his chest. Shadow removed the book from on top of the box, revealing the board game title underneath.

"Chess..?"

Sonic spoke more as a question as he tilted his head in order to read the title.

"Chess is for old people! I wanna do something fun!"

Sonic pouted, crossing his arms and slumping backwards. Shadow narrowed his eyes, a small smirk tugged at his lips.

"If I let you mess around and do nothing for 3 months your going to fry your brain with your own stupidity."

Shadow voiced, lifting the boxes lid and placing it to the side. He pushed the table closer to Sonic, taking out the small pieces and placing them in their correct positions.

~Time Skip~

"CHECK MATE!"

Sonic yelled, a large smile spread across his face as he firmly planted his piece down.

"First of all, that's my queen, second of all now I can take your king."

Shadow calmly spoke, gently switching the places of his rook and Sonics king. Sonic looked at the piece in his hand and down at the board, completely dumbfounded at his mistake.

"Check mate."

Shadow spoke, clearly teasing Sonic with his effortless victory. Sonic rolled his eyes and slummed back in his seat, still holding on to the queen piece in his hand.

"Whatever, I don't need to know how to play old people games when I could easily beat you in a race!"

Sonic huffed, trying to reclaim his image as Shadows superior. Just as Shadow had finished putting all the pieces away, there was a loud knock at the door. Sonic sat up from his spot, his ear flicking at the same time.

"It's probably Amy."

Sonic spoke, grabbing Shadows inhibitor ring and slipping it around his wrist. Shadow silently huffed, standing up and walking over to the door. He opened the door, expecting to see a over enthusiastic pink hedgehog but being met with a slightly worried silver hedgehog.

"We need to talk."

<Authors Note>

I know it's short but I wanted to leave it on a bit of a cliff hanger due to the stuff coming up is pretty intense. I'm gonna try and update this more frequently but school is kinda blocking me up so I don't get much of a opportunity. Also tysm for over 200 reads 🫶🏼🫶🏼