Chapter 23

Third POV
~One Week Later~

Shadow slowly brushed his quills in the bathroom, his ear flicking when hearing the familiar squeaks of Sonic crutches approaching. He looked behind himself in the mirror, watching Sonic wobble his way towards him with a small smile.

"What are you getting all spiffed up for?"

Sonic teased, resting his chin on Shadows shoulder.

"I need to go out for about a hour, do you think you'll be okay being alone for that long?"

Shadow spoke softly, brushing the top bit of Sonics quills before focusing back on his.

"Yeah I should be good, just bring me something when you get back."

Sonic yawned, nudging his head against Shadows.

"What are you going out for?"

Sonic questioned, nuzzling his head into the crook of Shadows neck. Shadow sighed and put his brush down, running his hands over Sonics quills before cupping his face.

"Don't worry about it, I'll explain after if everything goes well."

Shadow cooed, quickly kissing the top of Sonics head before scurrying over to his room.

"Make sure to get a jacket, it's raining outside!"

Sonic yelled to Shadow who already managed to throw on a hoodie in a matter of seconds.

"I'll see you in a bit."

Shadow intoned, his voice fading away as he swung the door open and bolted out.

Shadows POV

It didn't take me long before I was deep into the city. I slowed down to walking so I wouldn't slip or spray someone with water from puddles. I wandered around for a bit, checking the signs of each street name to find the address on the hiring advertisement flyer. As I walked, I could hear people muttering things to the people beside them. It seemed as if everyone I crossed paths with was discreetly glaring at me, which they were more or less. I yanked up my hood and kept my head low, doing my best to avoid the gaze of everyone's eyes.

About 15 minutes of walking later I finally found the Starbucks. It had the same flyer plastered all over the windows that I had in my hand.

Third POV

As Shadow walked into the coffee shop, a small bell chimed as he opened the door, catching the attention of a few people around him. Shadow tugged at his hoodie strings before walking up to the cashier, a beige cat with small white tufts of hair on the sides of her muzzle and end of her tail.

"Hi, welcome to Starbucks! How many I take your order?"

The cashier beamed, slightly looking up at Shadow who stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Umm, I'm here for the hiring position.."

Shadow muttered, his tone seeming more as a question rather than a statement.

"Oh, sure I'll call my manager over right away!"

The woman chirped, scurrying over to the back of the shop and returning with a much older looking woman.

"Come to my office kid."

The woman demanded, rubbing the side of her eye as she returned back to the office, Shadow following shortly after. Shadow sat down on a small stool in front of a wooden desk that the woman sat on the opposite side of.

"So, why do you want this job."

The woman yawned, not even looking at Shadow as she swiftly typed on her laptop.

"Oh.. uh, I got temporarily laid off my government job so I need some money."

Shadow unenthusiastically spoke, the woman glancing up when hearing the words 'government job'. The woman looked Shadow up and down, keeping her same blank expression the entire time.

"Listen, I'm too tired for this. Take the damn uniform and go, you start on Monday."

The woman yawned, rummaging through a drawer at the bottom of her desk and tossing a green apron at Shadow.

"Oh, thanks.. I guess."

Shadow mumbled, rolling the apron up and clutching it in his hand.

"Yeah yeah, now get going."

The woman groaned, rubbing her forehead and shooing Shadow away. Shadow quickly scurried out of the room, not like he wanted to be there anyway.

"Ooh guys, check it! We got a newbie in here!"

The cashier hollered, grabbing the attention of two other workers and a few customers. Shadow tugged down his hood more before giving a short greeting to the other workers and rushing out the door.

Authors Note

Sooo I kinda had to start this one on a time Skip because when I tell you I STRUGGLED to put together for a aftermath I mean everything I thought up was TRASH so hope you don't mind 💀✨

Also thank you for 4k reads holy shit 💀🫶🏼