5.9

Scribbling her pencil across the paper

Scribbling her pencil across the paper. Then blending it with the side of her thumb, the shadows came alive, adding depth to the drawing of a little girl. She was hiding in the corner as a monster of a shadow stretched behind her. She added the details to the little girls hospital gown.

"Hey." Rose jumped, her pencil making a mark. She cursed under her breath glaring at the grinning boy.

"Hi." She flipped her pencil erasing the mark, Steve sat beside her on the picnic table, leaning on his elbows.

"My bad, I didnt think you were so jumpy." Rose sighed blowing away the eraser strands.

"I didnt know you could be quiet for so long." He scooted ever so slightly closer. Rose stared down at her paper.

"Tell him that I'm in love with him?!"

Its just a stupid crush.

Steve glanced at her focused side profile down the little girl she was drawing. The two had a awfully close resemblance. The shadow behind the little girl stretched out his claws to her mind. Like a puppeteer to its puppet.

"Is that you?" He blurted, Rose sideways glanced at him then shrugged.

"I guess.." Rose tucked her hair behind her ear picking up the book to hold it upright in front of them. "It does look like me doesn't it? Guess that shadow would be Brenner." She let the book fall, placing her pencil on the page.

"Did you hear about the lab?" Rose looked over at him, her brows pulling together.

"No? Did it burn to the ground? Get struck by lightening maybe?" She asked with a cheery tone, Steve chuckled but slightly shakes his head.

"Its getting shut down, for good. A tape was released that they've been releasing toxic chemicals into the ground. Barb, Bob, and...Jean they died because of it. They're locking it up next week I think." Rose couldn't help but grin.

So it really is over.

"Took them long enough." Rose slid her book to her, shutting it to let it fall into her backpack. Tossing her pencil in alongside it. Steve moved swinging one leg onto the other side of the bench, straddling it face her. His hands fell onto his thighs.

"So, uh-Nancy and I talked."

"Oh yeah?" Rose pretend to be surprised.

"She said she was sorry for everything, and said we should stay friends."

"Is that what you want? Don't you still have feelings for her?" Rose looked up at him zippering up her bag. Steve opened his mouth letting out a quiet laugh forcing his eyes away from her brown ones.

"No, not anymore. I think friends would be good, means it wouldn't be so awkward and tense between us." He glanced over to her seeing her silently nod.

"Thats good Harrington." She mustered a smile standing up hearing the bell ring. "I gotta go Stevie." She picked up her bag starting down the hill.

"Bye, Rosie." He whispered seeing her go. Steve groaned rolling his eyes to himself. "You idiot!" He whispered to himself. Internally kicking himself. Bring up your ex girlfriend to you current best friend/crush.

Steve sighed fixing his hair. Turning back to see Rose dissappear into the school doors.

---

Rose parked her car, stepping out into the grass. She carried flowers at her side following the dirt path.

She walked to the big tree, at the outskirts of the cemetery. The mound of dirt barely starting to grow grass.

Rose sighed squatting down, pressing her hand to ingraving.

"Hey mom." Rose sighed sitting down on the dirt beside the grave. The sun was beginning to set, the birds chirping as the trees whistled through the wind. Rose let her arms rest on her bent knees, glancing down at the flowers she brought just the week before. The petals already darkening.

"The labs getting shut down. Its about damn time." Rose chuckled staring at Jeans name. "I think its finally over, it took the world long enough but its over. The Upside Down is closed, the labs gone. Eleven is able to live a semi regular life now. Jims talking about letting her start high school next year with the rest of the party."

The trees whistled and rustled. A cool wind hitting Roses back. Rose leaned her cheek on her upper arm, just letting the silence overcome her. Rose sighed out contently.

"I think I like Steve." She admitted softly. "I won't do anything about it, not unless he does." Rose stared at the name written on the stone.

"God, now I sound like a teen girl." Rose laughed out wiping under her eyes. The salty tears wiping away. "Trust me, I don't know how it happened either." She could imagine Jeans grin smirking over at her. Jeans knowing stare as she mentioned the boy.

"You've probably known all along, you always do-did." She corrected, only making another tear fall. "I hope you'll watch over me as I undoubtedly embarress myself. Love you mom." Rose stood leaving another bundle of white daisies and a single red rose in place of the others.

---

Rose parked beside Jims truck. The lights inside the cabin still on. Rose knocked on the door then pulled out her key, shutting the door behind her.

"Hey." Rose took off her jean jacket walking into the living room. Eleven mumbled a 'hi' then looked back at the television. Jim was snoring away in his reclining chair. Rose chuckled, ruffling Els hair. "How was your day?" She whispered walking into the kitchen to grab a water. She heard the light padding of feet follow her.

"Good, I finished that book." Rose smiled at the girl unscrewing the cap of the bottle of water.

"Did you like it?" Eleven nodded. "I thought you would." Rose took a sip of the water, licking her lips.

"Hey, I have some news." Eleven immediately grew concerned. "Its not like that, it's good news. The lab, its shutting down, for good." Elevens face lit up.

"Good."

"Its very good." Rose pointed her bottle at the girl walking back towards the ladder.

"Is it over?" Rose paused pursing her lips then glanced over her shoulder.

"I hope so El."