Chapter 9

Carrie's POV

I get home from work, feeling more tired than usual. I kick off my shoes, and change out of the button down shirt and black pants, putting on my pajama bottoms and a tank top. I look in the fridge and retrieve an old takeout container bringing it to my nose. It smells pretty bad, and I toss it in the garbage. Other than some deli meat with a mysteriously absent 'best by' date, and a cup of yogurt, I don't really have anything to eat. I guess I'll just have to boil pasta, again. Reminder to self—go grocery shopping. Oh, and learn how to cook something other than pasta.

I boil some spaghetti and put a little butter and cheese on it. Simple yet satisfying. I settle down on the couch and turn on the TV. Flipping through the channels I realize there really isn't anything that catches my attention, so I settle on Legally Blonde. Hopefully Elle Woods' optimism rubs off on me.

My phone rings, it's Alex. I answer, trying to swallow the mouthful of spaghetti.

"Hey, Carrie, you busy?" Alex asks.

"No, just watching TV."

"Wanna come out with us to the movies?" he asks. "A bunch of us are getting together and I thought maybe you and Jonah would join us."

"Umm, well, Jonah and I are in the middle of a fight...again, but I'd love to come! What are we going to see?"

"It's some kind of indie film Tiffany has been dying to see, sorry I don't remember the title."

"Well, I'm up for it, whatever it is," I say enthusiastically. Getting out of the house is just what I need.

"Ok, wanna meet at the Tavern for a drink beforehand?"

"Sure, what time?"

"Like seven? The movie is not until nine or something."

"Great, just enough time for me to finish my sad dinner," I say.

"Pasta again?" Alex asks, he knows me too well.

"No, it's caviar and escargot," I say, trying to sound serious.

"With butter and cheese?" he continues.

"I'll see you in about an hour," I roll my eyes, and we end the call.

I am so grateful that Alex called, this is exactly what I need to get my mind off of the annoying negative energy hanging over me. First, I hate fighting with Jonah, and not being able to talk to him is making me feel more anxious. Second, I'm still rattled from walking in on my boss and Leona making out in the copy room. I really don't like having to keep other people's secrets. And lastly, I can't deny that whenever I find myself daydreaming, a certain pair of green eyes manages to creep into my subconscious.

I quickly finish my plate of pasta, and change out of my bum around outfit. I slip a pair of black skinny jeans on, and decide on a plain white v-neck t-shirt for a top. My hair is up in a high ponytail, and I still have some remnants of makeup on from my day at work, I don't bother to re-apply it. I grab my purse and my phone, and head out the front door.