Chapter 64

Carrie's POV

"Am I interrupting something?" Susan asks, and I can actually feel my sweat glands working over time.

"No," I answer hastily. "I was just getting a snack," I lie, and grab Lucas' half-eaten Cheetos bag from the table, and leave the room.

I head back to my cubicle, and slump over the keyboard. What in the hell is wrong with me? What am I even thinking? Lucas is my friend, that's it. Then why is my heart still beating so rapidly? Yes, he is attractive. And funny. And intelligent. And a freaking war hero who speaks foreign languages...so what? He's also a self described 'man-whore'. And...more importantly, I have a loving boyfriend. I love Tyler! I can't believe that even for a second I fantasized about being with Lucas.

My cell phone buzzes, and I check the screen. It's a text from Tyler reminding me that he's taking me out to celebrate my birthday tonight. He adds a birthday cake emoji, and a bunch of hearts with arrows after the 'I Love You', and I feel the weight of shame, and guilt compress my heart.

"What was that back there?" I hear Lucas' voice, and when I look up, he's standing next to my desk.

"What do you mean?" I ask, ignoring his probing gaze.

"You know exactly what I mean," he calls me out.

I turn my back to him and pretend to type something on my computer.

Lucas actually takes the back of my chair, and turns it back around so that I face him.

He then crouches down, so that our eyes are on the same level.

"Let's grab a drink after work today, yeah?" he asks softly.

"I can't. Tyler's picking me up, and we're going out to dinner," I tell him. "It's my birthday, so..."

Lucas' eyes widen in surprise. "You didn't tell me it's your birthday?" He looks almost hurt. "I wish I'd known. I would've gotten you something more special than a hot chocolate."

"I loved the hot chocolate," I blurt out...and then immediately regret my enthusiasm. "I mean, you don't have to get me anything."

"I know I don't have to. But I'd like to," he tells me, his blue eyes looking warmly at me.

"Lucas...um...I hope I didn't say something to make you believe that...uh...I don't feel anything more than--...I mean..." I bite my lip, and look away from him, feeling embarrassed.

Lucas stands back up, and sticks his hands into his pockets. "Hey, don't worry about it. You said all the right things, Carrie. Actually, I really do appreciate your help. I think I will swipe right after all," he says, and walks back to his desk.

Shit. Is he serious right now? I feel like there is nothing I can say now to make things right with Lucas. I just wish I kept my mouth shut, and didn't react the way I did when he shared his feelings. I am not going to get involved in this.

I finish typing up a couple of emails, and decide to leave a little on the early side today.

When Tyler picks me up, I am so happy to see him. He greets me with a usual kiss, and we drive off to Jardiniere, a french restaurant in Hayes Valley.

The dinner is delicious, and I decide to order a chocolate torte for dessert.

"I still think Slate beats this place," I tell him, and he nods in agreement.

"I just thought you'd appreciate a change of scenery. And besides, we're very close to our next destination," Tyler says, smiling at me.

"What? Where are we going after?" I ask excitedly.