Chapter 12

Tyler's POV

We get inside the car, and I scoot as close to Carrie as I can. She's basically pressed up against the door, but I just can't help myself, I need to be close to this girl. I don't know what it is about her, maybe it's some pheromones or some other chemical reaction, but I just have this unexplainable urge to feel her in my arms again. I look at her profile, as she's staring out of the window.

"So, have you thought about me since..." I trail off, not wanting to embarrass her.

I see her small fingers fidget nervously in her lap, and her hazel eyes are downcast.

"Of course I have," she says in a bare whisper.

"What did you think about?" I ask reaching for her hand. She snatches it away before I am able to capture it.

"That I'm lucky we stopped before anything happened," she says, and returns her eyes back to the window.

"But something did happen," I say, recognizing a wall being put up in front of me. I lean into her ear and whisper, "don't you remember my lips kissing yours? Or my tongue tasting the skin on your neck?" I watch her close her eyes. "What about my fingers dipping into your panties?"

She looks at me then, her eyes seem wild, and for a second I think she's furious with me, but then I see the rosy flush covering her skin, her breathing seems to be coming in gasps, her eyes move to my mouth, and that's when I know that my words are turning her on.

"Please stop," she says, her eyes pleading, but I know better. I can see the effect I have on her, and I'm nowhere near done.

I reach for her face, and trace the pad of my thumb across her soft cheek. She doesn't pull away. "Fuck, Carrie, the things I want to do to you..." I say, cupping her cheek and bring my mouth to hers. She whimpers, and I feel her hands try to push at my chest, but her mouth opens for me, her tongue tasting mine. She leans into me more, and I wrap my arms around her waist. Damn, she feels good. My fingers dig into her flesh, and I can feel her softness beneath the thin material of the cotton t-shirt.

Suddenly she breaks the kiss, and pulls away. "I can't do this," she says, her breathing frantic. "I can't cheat on Jonah."

I'm really starting to hate that fucking name. I do my best to steady my own racing heartbeat. "I'm not out to ruin your life, Carrie," I begin, my hands still gripping her waist. "I just think there's got to be a reason why the universe brought us together. Think about how random of a connection it is." She looks torn. Her eyes seem lost. "I'm not sure how to make sense of it all, but isn't it worth finding out?" I ask.

She puts her hands on mine and removes them from her body. It looks like she's contemplating all the questions I just threw at her.

"I can't do it to him," she says, hiding her eyes from me.

I rake my hands through my hair in frustration. "What about you? Can you honestly tell me that he's everything you've ever wanted? Does he truly make you happy?"

"And what are you? The man of my dreams?" she asks, and I feel the sting of her sarcasm.

"I could be." What am I even saying? "But you'll never know if you don't give me a chance."

The car comes to a stop, and the driver opens the automatic lock on the doors. I hold Carrie's gaze for a moment longer, but she doesn't say anything. I open the door and step out, holding out a hand for her.

"Thank you," Carrie says to the driver, and climbs out of the car without taking my hand.