Chapter 79

Tyler's POV

I walk up the steps to Tiffany's, and knock on the door. It's kind of late, and I feel a little guilty for just showing up uninvited, but I just really need to see her right now.

In a few moments she opens the door, and looks more surprised than I expected.

"Hey...er...I hope I'm not interrupting anything," I say as I enter inside and walk into the hallway.

"Ty, I did not expect you would want to come over right now...I mean, I don't know what the hell is going on, but--"

"Do you have company?" I ask, and walk into the living room.

Tiffany rushes from behind me, and stands in front of the staircase leading to the bedroom upstairs.

"Don't you know?" she whispers, and I stare at her confused.

But then I hear it. The unmistakable soft-spoken murmur coming from above...

She's here.

Fuck it all to hell and back. Just when I am trying to escape as far away from her as possible, I walk right into the eye of the fucking storm. Fate is playing a cruel joke on me again.

But I am not going to run and hide...I've had some time to cool off, and now I think I am ready to look her in the eyes and tell her to go to hell.

"Ty, what happened? Carrie showed up here, crying, and just hysterical, and she's been talking to Alex upstairs for like an hour. I don't know what the hell is happening! Do you know?"

"Sure I do. And it's about to get way, way worse," I tell her, and move past her to go up the stairs.

As I approach the closed door, I hear Alex say something like: "It's all going to be okay."

Only it's not.

I open the door, and see Carrie sitting on the bed, hair dishevelled, her face is red, and streaked with tears.

"Well, this is perfect...why not end it where it all began?" I say as I enter.

Carrie's eyes grow wide, and she casts her helpless gaze on Alex who rises out of the chair, and greets me with a silent nod.

"I'll give you two some privacy," he says, and disappears, closing the door behind himself.

Carrie brings her knees up to her chest and hugs them close with her arms. She scoots over on the bed, as though to make room for me, but there's not way I am going anywhere near her. I walk around the bed and sit in the corner chair, my elbows on my knees.

"It's hard to believe it's been nearly a year since that night," I say, and she looks up, letting a tear fall down her cheek. I have to fight the urge to walk over and wipe it away with my thumb. But I must remember that I can't comfort or console her, because she is not the victim here. Her tears mean nothing to me. They're only tears of guilt.

"Tyler..." she begins, but I interrupt her.

"I really thought you were different, you know that? No, not just different. I thought you were the 'one'. Before you, I didn't even think that shit existed...but now, thanks to you, I know for a fact that it doesn't."

"Tyler, if you would let me explain..."

"Explain? Explain what? How you've been denying any and all relations with Lucas, meanwhile making out with him behind my back? Explain how you preach to me about marriage and lifelong commitment, while you're basically hooking up with another man? And I am the asshole who is making you breakfast in bed and begging you to move in with him!" I scream, tugging at my hair.