Chapter 39

Carrie's POV

I'm checking my reflection in the mirror, and I can honestly say that for once I'm actually tempted to take a selfie. The girl at the M.A.C counter did a masterful job with my make up, and my daring attempt to copy an ambitious updo hairstyle from Pinterest isn't a complete fail. Plus, I'm officially in love with this lavender BCBG dress I got on sale. It's long sleeved, and not too short, but its lower back cutout goes all the way down to the small of my back.

Ordinarily, I'm not a vain person, and don't care about high fashion, but I must admit that having a reason to get all glammed up once in awhile, and be super girly, is actually kind of fun.

Everything is on point for Leona's wedding, and Tyler should be here in a few minutes to pick me up.

I slip on a pair of high heels, grab my clutch, and assess myself once more. Hope Tyler likes what he sees, then I catch myself smiling. When hasn't he liked what I look like? He's seen me bum around in sweats and an old t-shirt, with no makeup on, and my hair in a tangled nest, and dubbed me "sex goddess." He's seen me without a stitch of clothing on, and I'd never felt more beautiful. I suppose beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. 

Tyler and I have been seeing each other for a couple of months now, and I've never felt more cherished and cared for. He's very attentive, sweet, and caring. His possessive streak can get a little out of hand, but I do my best to allay his often ungrounded fears. I mean, as flattering as it is to believe that most guys who come in contact with me just want to get in my pants, I have to remind him that that's not actually reality.

Yes, I understand that Tyler's been burnt in the past, and it seems to have left a permanent scar of betrayal on his heart, but I hope that he trusts me enough with his heart to heal it.

The doorbell rings, and I rush to buzz him in. Moments later, Tyler walks through the door.

"Holy hell," he says, as he stops dead in his tracks, and rakes his green eyes up and down my body. "You look...incredible."

"Thanks, babe," I say, like it's no big deal, and strut...yes, I actually strut toward him.

"If you want to make it out of here on time you better not tease me with that look," he warns me.

"Whatever do you mean?" I ask innocently, pressing my body against him.

Tyler takes my hand and slides it downward, to press the front of his slacks.

"Oh," I smile, feeling his hardness. "Doesn't take much, does it?"

"Not when I'm looking at you," he says, and kisses the top of my head.

"You look quite dapper yourself," I compliment, as I take in his tailored suit. He looks as though he just walked off the cover shoot for GQ.

"We're quite the striking pair," he says, and takes out his phone. "I think this moment deserves to be captured."

I lean into Tyler's shoulder, and he kisses my cheek, snapping a photo of us with his phone.

We get into Tyler's car, and end up barely making it on time to Grace Cathedral for the ceremony.

Leona looks absolutely stunning in her Monique Lhuillier wedding gown, and sky high Christian Louboutin stilettos. The only reason I know the brands is because she spent the last week at the office talking about little else.

After the traditional vows, and much pomp, we all head to the Ritz Carlton for the reception.

The ballroom looks magnificent, decorated with gorgeous white flower arrangements, and some spectacular light installations. There are probably over 200 guests here, and I recognize only a handful of people from work.