Chapter 16

Carrie's POV

My day at work is going by quickly. Samuel included me in the meeting with several senior copywriters, and I even had a chance to contribute some of my ideas during the roundtable brainstorming discussion. I've managed to avoid running into Kenneth, and I have a feeling that Leona is consciously staying away from me. I really wish I could forget what I witnessed in the copy room.

I get a text from Alex reminding of me of our lunch date, and I am very excited to see him. Especially since I decided to come clean about my shameful secret. It's going to feel so liberating to just talk about it.

When I leave the Ruby World building, I see Alex standing on the curb, he's on the phone. I can tell he's talking to Tiffany because he's smiling from ear to ear.

"I'll see in you in a bit," he says, and ends the phone call.

"Is there a change of plans?" I ask, hoping he didn't invite Tiffany along for our lunch.

"Well, I hope you don't mind, but when I told Tiffany you and I were going to lunch, she insisted we come to Slate. It's just up the block, the food is supposed to be amazing, and Tiffany is the chef! We gotta go, Carrie."

For a moment I feel a rush of excitement...what if Tyler is there. Would I be able to keep my cool? If I am being truthful with myself then I'll have to admit that I do want to see him again. And I am curious about his restaurant. Even if he's not there, I'd learn more about him by going. Curiosity wins again.

"Um, well, I mean if you really want to, I guess..."

"She's busy working, so it's still just you and me having lunch," he's convincing me.

"Okay. But I'm not spending twenty bucks on a salad," I warn him.

"Tiffany said it's gonna be all taken care of," he winks at me.

"Well, I am not one to turn down free lunch," I say, and we head toward Union Square.

When we enter Slate, I am instantly feeling out of place. This place is extremely posh. The decor is super modern and sleek, the bar is made out of dark wood and grey granite. There's a variety of geometric glass light fixtures hanging over the tables, and the art on the walls is very abstract.

"Welcome to Slate," the hostess greets us. I immediately recognize her from the night at the Tavern. It's Shelly, Tyler's non-date.

She doesn't seem to remember me, but she smiles vacantly at Alex, picks up two menus, and gestures for us to follow her.

We are seated at a table that's next to a giant fireplace. As I look around, I notice that most people eating here are dressed in professional attire. I guess this is an impressive way to woo new business clients, and then just write off the bill as company expenses. It's pretty packed, with only a couple of empty tables available, and from what I can tell, Alex and I got the best table in the house.

"Nice place, right?" says Alex, unfolding his linen napkin and placing it in his lap.

I open the menu. "Holy crap," I gasp. "Good thing this meal is on the house," I say, noticing the high prices.

"Tiffany said the truffle soup is really good, and also the steak tartar," Alex suggests.

"I don't eat raw beef, but I'll try the soup," I say, and close the menu.

"That's all you're gonna have?"

"I'm not that hungry," I say, and look around the restaurant, silently wondering if Tyler participated in the interior design selections.