Chapter 41

Tyler's POV

It's Thanksgiving, and we are all gathered at Tiffany and Alex's for dinner. The spread on the table is filled with traditional holiday fare, and I am reminded of our childhood--the memory of our loving parents creating such warm, sweet memories for my me and my baby sister. Now, I watch my grown up sister set the table, and Alex light the candles, as they exchange meaningful little glances, and somehow I feel at peace knowing that she is in a happy relationship. I think our parents would've liked Alex. He seems a decent enough guy, and most importantly, he can tolerate my sister's fiery temper.

I hear Calvin and Daniel bicker about something in the kitchen, and even that makes me smile; it's as though I have two younger brothers who take pleasure in baiting each other. Somehow, even their benign arguments add to a sense of genuine family time.

But perhaps the main reason why I am so unusually tranquil, and downright fucking happy, is this beautiful woman sitting next to me. She is the reason behind my sickeningly cheery disposition as of late. I've taken a lot of heat for wearing this stupid smile on my face lately, but I couldn't give a shit, to be honest. Ordinarily, I have an ornery appearance, and a quick temper, but ever since Carrie told me she loves me, nothing else matters...and I am happy to be the besotted fool I am. 

Everything is fucking rainbows and butterflies. Especially since Carrie quit her job at Ruby World, and started at a new ad agency just a couple of blocks from where I live. No more late nights at the office, and more importantly, no more fucking Kenneth. She never really told me why she decided to leave so abruptly, but ever since our frank talk about trust, I try not to question her decisions too much. She seems happier, and more satisfied at this new firm, and if she's happy, well then I am happy too. It might sound pretty pathetic, but hey...I'm all out of fucks to give. Just going to enjoy feeling the love. She loves me, and I love her, and that's all that matters.

"Shall we raise a toast?" Alex says, raising his beer bottle, as we are all finally seated.

"To Tiffany, and this amazing feast she created in our crap kitchen. Considering the equipment, and my ineptitude as a sous chef, nothing short of a culinary genius could have pulled this off. Three cheers to her!"

Everyone claps and whistles, and my humble sister blushes from all the attention.

"Dig in, everyone. I hope you enjoy it," she says, and passes the mashed potatoes to Carrie.

"This smells delicious," Carrie compliments, and serves me and then herself. It's these little things, that seem so trivial, but make me take notice and appreciate how thoughtful she is.

After stuffing myself, and drinking perhaps a little more than necessary, I'm ready to pass out into a food coma. Carrie and I are nestled on the couch, observing as Daniel and Calvin argue about the football game they're watching on TV. Tiffany and Alex are cleaning up in the kitchen. All seems calm, and peaceful, and I close my eyes, feeling Carrie's fingers gently massage the back of my neck. Can life get any fucking better?

"Oh! My! God!" I hear Tiffany's voice scream from the kitchen.

I immediately leap up, "Tiff, you okay?" I ask, hoping she didn't cut herself, or something.

Tiffany charges at me from the kitchen, with the biggest smile on her face.

"Alex just asked me to marry him! And I said yes!" she yells, and sticks out her left hand to show off a gold band crested with a square diamond.

"What?!" I ask, in total disbelief. "But you've only just moved in together a couple of months ago..." I continue, still completely agast.

Alex joins Tiffany at her side, and wraps his arm around her shoulder, kissing her cheek.