Chapter 61

Carrie's POV

The clients loved our pitch, and I couldn't be more proud of my team. Being the lead on this project has been exhilarating. I enjoyed having the extra responsibility of making the final decisions, and I hope Martin is going to be happy. We won't know until tomorrow morning if the clients have officially signed on, and I am feeling both anxious and excited.

"You were on fire in there," Lucas compliments me.

"Thanks, you did really well too. I mean, as soon as you cracked that windmill joke, I knew they were in the palm of our hand," I tell him.

"Whatever happens tomorrow, we've done all we could have. It was our best, and if they don't like it, then they can go to hell," Susan says.

"Well, should we get a cab and go celebrate?" Lucas offers.

"Oof, count me out," Susan says, massaging her temples. "I've got a killer headache. I'm just gonna take an Ambien and clock out."

"Yeah, I should probably get some rest too. Gotta be bright eyed and bushy tailed for tomorrow's power brunch," I say.

"No way, Maverick, you owe me, remember?" Lucas says.

I shrug, letting out a resigned sigh, "I suppose I do."

Susan looks askance at us, but doesn't say anything, leaving us alone in the hotel lobby.

"Well, where are we going to go?"

"A buddy of mine works at this awesome bar downtown. Let's go check it out, yeah?"

I reluctantly agree, explaining to Lucas that I am not a big drinker, but he doesn't seem to care. We share a cab, and arrive just after 8pm.

The bar is decorated in a speakeasy style, with waitresses and bartenders dressed in prohibition era clothing. It's pretty busy and loud, so I'm already regretting being here, but soon enough Lucas finds his friend, James--a portly man with a handle-bar mustache. James is a gregarious guy, and is genuinely happy to see Lucas. He gives us the royal treatment, setting us up in a reserved private booth, and sending over a flight of eight shot glasses for whiskey tasting.

"Pretty neat place, right?" Lucas beams at me.

"Yeah, I like the retro vibe. And James is great. How do you know him exactly?"

Lucas takes a swig of whiskey, as though he needs the liquid courage to answer my simple question.

"Well," he begins, "I don't really share this with many people, but I was in the military. James and I served together in the middle east. He's done something like four tours. I only did one, before I got injured, and had to be honorably discharged. Anyway, he's like a brother to me. A real good guy, you know?"

"Wow, I never would have guessed that about you. Were you wounded?"

"I got my elbow and shoulder torn up pretty badly. It got in the way of me handling my weapon. So, I was deemed unfit for combat duty. And I wasn't a desk job type of solider."

"Were you in the army?"

"Marines."

"And how did you end up at Valent? That's as desk job as it gets."

"True. But this is my attempt to assimilate back into civilian life. The point is that I am not in a hostile environment with combat happening on the perimeter. If that were the case I would have to be on the front lines."

"You have that urge to be part of the action?"

"It's more of an urge to protect and defend," Lucas says, and I can see the sincerity in his blue eyes.