Best Friend

Tyra is arriving today

Tyra is arriving today. I'm so excited to see my best friend. These months away from her felt like years. Jackson will be picking her up and bringing her to our house. I bought fresh sheets and stocked the guest bedroom with some of her favorite things. I want her to be comfortable.

I grabbed my phone from the table as I saw her name light up across the screen.

"Tell me you're here." 

"I'm here! I can't wait to see you." She basically screamed through the phone.

"Jackson is there to drive you to the house. He'll be easy to spot. Black suit, black hair with a sprinkle of gray and a sign with your name on it." I giggled.

"There he is." I could hear Tyra and Jackson speaking in the background. "Yep, this is him."

"Good, see you in a few." The airport wasn't close to the estate, but I sat outside on the deck waiting to see a black SUV drive up the driveway. I caressed my belly as the wind blew. My stomach was still relatively flat, but that didn't stop me from touching it twenty times a day.

I stood as I saw small gusts of sand coming from the beginning of the driveway. She is finally here. The house is so lonely especially when Alex works all day and night. He somehow thinks money cushions the blow of never having him here, but it doesn't.

As soon as Jackson parked, Tyra jumped out of the car.

"What if you would've busted your ass." I laughed.

"It would've been well worth it." She replied, Jackson walked past us bringing her suitcase in the house.

Her eyes took in the magnificence of the house. I can remember my first time arriving here. It's definitely picturesque.

"You have an amazing home." She said in awe. 

"This is Alexander's house, but thanks." We talked for hours. Ms. Belinda joined as well, listening to stories from my previous life in Texas. It seems so far away and so long ago. Despite it being less than two years. Small parts of me come back when she is around, different parts of me. The things I prefer about myself. I'm not tied to another person. I'm just Mia.

I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the old me. Something in my body fully kneeled to Alexander's thoughts and wishes. He used that fact to his advantage. He knows how to work people to get what he wants and that's a problem in itself.

"Mia... Did you drift off to lalaland?" Tyra joked.

"I really did." I smiled. "Let me show you where you'll be sleeping." I walked Tyra down the corridor. "This is the guest bedroom. I put all your favorite snacks in that basket." I pointed to the hand woven basket on the ottoman.

"Can we have a movie night? I know Alex will be here, but we haven't spent time together in a while."

"Of course. I'm sure he won't mind." Alex works late most nights. I texted him saying that Tyra was here and that we would be in the cinema room watching movies tonight.

Our movie night was lasting forever. I couldn't keep my eyes open.

Mia's friend will be visiting for a week

Mia's friend will be visiting for a week. I loathe having people in my personal space, but Mia needs to be happy as well. So, for her I'll make an exception.

The day turned into night. I didn't want to interrupt Mia's time with her friend, but I also didn't want to be out all night. I worked until 7 then quietly came home.

The laughing coming from downstairs was calming. It let me know that Mia was enjoying herself, something she hasn't done much of lately. I hate knowing I'm the cause of that. 

After my shower I walked to the kitchen to get a bottle of water before I finally laid down.

A shadow was moving in the dark. "Mia."

"No, it's me. Mia fell asleep on a recliner. Those babies are kicking her ass." Her friend laughed, I turned to walk away, but she ran towards me.

What the hell does she want?

"Can you move?" I was doing my best to be polite, but it wasn't working. She stood still looking into my eyes.

"I just wanted to thank you for taking care of my friend. She really deserves it."

"She indeed does." I replied, going around her.

"She doesn't necessarily appreciate it though. She always complains and says she wants to move back to Texas."

Is she really dropping the dime on her so-called best friend?

"What you and Mia talk about is none of my concern."

"I just wanted to let you know. I would never talk about you like that. I would always give you what you wanted and never complain about it." She smirked. I wanted to push her down. 

"If you don't want me to wake Mia up, I would advise you to shut the fuck up and get the fuck out of my face." My sweet Mia deserves a lot better than a piece of shit friend.

I watched Tyra's face sink as I walked around her. Mia looked forward to her visit for weeks and this is how she repays her. The exact reason why I trust no one.

Mia's soft footsteps woke me. I looked at the clock. It was two in the morning.

"I couldn't sleep on that chair anymore. My back doesn't work like that anymore." Mia chuckled.

"I'm happy to have you next to me." I took in the sweet smell of her skin.

"Thanks for letting Tyra come visit. I appreciate it."

"You're welcome sweetheart." I kissed her hand as we drifted to sleep. 

I know withholding what Tyra said isn't right, but Mia's feelings outweigh that. She's going through so much, I can't break her heart.