Meeting Nonna

⚠️Ignorance!⚠️

"He's so dark" The older woman scowled looking at her son when he handed her João.

"Ma, come on"

"How are people supposed to believe you two had a baby when he's her complexion."

"He's brown-skinned, she's dark-skinned so he's not her complexion and even if he was there's nothing wrong with that."

"He doesn't even look like you. I mean his hair isn't nappy, thank god, but it's not smooth like yours either, it's all afro-y and curly. I guess it's okay because he's a boy. But if you get a girl, get one that looks like you. "

"You're being disrespectful, Don't say things like that. What is wrong with you?"

"When you said you had a grand baby for me I didn't think he would look like this. He's also a little too old."

"What do you mean look like that?He's adorable, And he's four. How is that old? His biological mother and father are black and white as well. So yes. It would be possible for him to have this complexion.

"From where? What is he?"

"Does it matter?"

"Yes"

"He's Brazilian"

"There's a lot of fags over there you know that right."

"You just can't help yourself can you? Give me my son"

"No, I said He's not bad. I was just expecting something different."

"I want mama" he pushed away from Jamie's mother, wanting Amina. Jamie picked him up waiting for his wife.

"Mama's in the bathroom. When she comes out we'll go home"

"You asked us to watch him for the weekend."

"I asked papa. I didn't know you were here by yourself. I'm not leaving him here with you alone."

"Do you think I would hurt him? I don't like your wife but I've never tried to hurt her."

"Your mouth does all the damage. He can hear everything you're saying. He doesn't need to be fed this ignorant bullshit. Then he's going to grow up questioning why his hair isn't like mine or hers-"

"It is like hers, just less nappy"

"Where's papa?"

"In Seattle handling something"

"Amina. Hurry up please" Jamie was starting to get tired of his mother's shit. He knew that if she kept trying him he was going to say something.

"Stop acting like a little bitch, Jamieson. This is why I don't want you dating them. They're so masculine, everytime I see you you become more of a coward and hide behind her. You need her to solve your problems. Does she wear the pants?"

"First of all, we're not dating. She's my wife and second of all, just because she's not codependent doesn't mean she wears the pants. There are no pants. It's a fifty fifty effort and I'm tired of you trying to make me feel like shit for treating my wife as my equal. That's how it's supposed to be, especially when there's a child in the mix. You wouldn't know what it's like being a proper wife or mother because you were always high or laying on your goddamn back."

"Alright. Sorry. I'm ready" Amina walked in. She wasn't in the bathroom, she was standing by the kitchen listening to everything the woman said. As much as she wanted to give her a piece of her mind. She didn't say anything. She didn't have to say anything because Jamie said enough. Not as much as she would've but enough. She didn't want or expect him to disrespect his mother. He said enough to defend her and she wasn't expecting anything more.

"Mama"

"Yes baby" she took João from Jamie and left the house.

"Dada is mad"

"Is he?"

"Uh huh" She sat in the passenger seat with João in her lap

"How do you know?"

"Him say bad words"

"Mama will talk to him about his potty mouth."

Jamie walked out of the house and his mother came out calling after him. She could tell from the look on his face that he was upset.

"How dare you! I'm telling your father!" He shrugged and got in the car.

"Are you okay?" She held her husband's face, running her hand over his cheek. It was warm and red. She obviously hit him and she knew why.

"I'm fine"

"What did you say?"

He shook his head not wanting to think about what he just said to his mother. Jamie wasn't disrespectful but it was only so much he could take before he snapped.

"I deserved it"

"You got a boo boo,dada?" João leaned over in Amina's arms to kiss his cheek.

"Better?" Jamie gasped with a smile.

"I feel all better. Thank you bambino" he took his son from Amina and kissed his forehead it was so important for him to show his son affection. There was so much stigma around father and son affection in his family. His dad wasn't too affectionate with him until he got older, which he found kind of backwards.

João sat in his lap putting his hands on the wheel.

"Vroom, Vroom!"

"Want to drive?"

"Yes!!" They were on his parents property so he wasn't worried about other cars and stuff.

"No" Amina put the car in park before her life was taken prematurely.