Kinder Eggs

"Dada" João tugged on Jamie's sleeve and pointed to the kinder egg that Amina always brought him.

"Say Papa, Not dada. You're a big boy. What do you need?" He pointed again, letting go of Jamie's hand to touch it.

"Do you want it?"

He nodded with a big smile picking it up.

"You have to ask for it"

João stared at him. For whatever reason he didn't speak much. They've been trying to break him out of it by making him ask for things.

"I guess you don't want it"

"Have it. Please papa"

"Can I have this please, papa" Jamie properly phrased it for him to repeat.

"Can I have this please, papa?"

"Yes, you can. Very good" he put the egg on the conveyor belt while Jamie put everything else. He paid and bagged the groceries walking to the exit.

"Bambino?" He called when he noticed João wasn't with him.

He ran over grabbing his hand.

"Mommy?"

"What about her"

"See mommy?"

"You see mommy?"

"No. . .We see mommy?"

"Are we going to go see mommy?"

"Yes"

"Yes, we're going home." He bucked him into his carseat and put the bags in the passenger seat.

-

"Mommyyy!!" João ran to Amina who was sitting on a blanket on their lawn.

"Hi baby, did you have fun with dada?"

"Uh huh." He reached into his sweater pocket and pulled out three eggs. Handing one to Amina.

"Dada" he put the second one down for Jamie and held the third one up for himself. 

"For Baby"

"Thank you for sharing, Joey" she kissed João's cheek.

"Hey babe" Jamie kissed his wife before sitting down.

"Hey, how was everything?"

"Good. Actually"

"So good he got three eggs?"

"Did you steal these, João?"

"No."

"Yes you did. I only brought you one. How many is this?"

"Three."

"Very good bubba" Amina smiled, they've been working on counting and colors and stuff lately.

"Where did these come from?" He climbed into his Mama's Lap. He didn't like when Jamie was stern with him.

"Store" Amina smiled, João was so adorable. She could never stay mad at him.

"I know you got it from the store but I didn't pay for it. So you stole them"

"No"

"Yes you did. Do you remember what I said would happen if you stole something again?" João hid his hands behind his back.

"Give me your hand"

"No"

"Nooo! Sorry. Sorry" The little boy screamed and cried when Jamie held his hand on the grass, his pocket knife inches away.

"Nooo, sorry dada. Sorry!!" He cried trying to pull his hands away.

"Babe, we're outside" Amina reminded.

"Will you do it again?"

"No"

"Good." He let him go.

"Because if you do. Mama won't be here to save you. You won't have any fingers"  He began to cry again looking at his fingers.

Was Jamie going to cut off his fingers? No. But did he need to know that? No.

"Go inside since you want to steal. Thieves don't belong outside." João frowned and stood up walking to their front door.

"Here baby, have a sandwich" She handed João a sandwich and his little egg.

"Mama will come get you in a minute" she whispered, patting his bum, sending him off.

"Babe, no."

"I will"

"I know but you can't tell him that or he'll keep doing bad things."

"He has good intentions. He came home and shared."

"Look at him" He pointed to João who was sitting in front of the glass doors to their mansion waving sadly.

"Go get my baby"

"Come here, Mimmo" he perked up running back out to his parents.

"You're such a softy. That's the worst thing a criminal in the making can have is a soft parent." Jamie teased.

"I can't help it. Leave me alone!"

"When's the last time you went to work?"

"Two months ago"

"You like being a mom don't you?"

"I love it"

"I thought about getting him a dog"

"Yes! Yes!! Want puppy!!" João jumped around excitedly.

"Sit down and eat your food. Adults are talking, yes?"

"Sorry" He sat down in his papa's lap eating his lunch.