Daejung

“Mommy!” João ran to Amina giving her a big hug. Jamie and Amina were really relieved when they realized that João liked school. He didn't cry on his first day and sometimes didn't want to go home right away.

“Hi bubba” he waved excitedly,  jumping on her.

“How was school?”

“It was good mommy. We have a new student and hims my best friend now.”

“yeah?”

“Uh huh and papa said we can even have a sleepover one day.”

“yay, that sounds fun. Tell me about your best friend.” This was the first class mate João ever came home and talked about so she was excited. Turns out he wasn't very social at school.

“hims name-”

“His bubba. His” She corrected.

“His name is Daejung and he's six just like me. His English sounds a little funny like mine and he brings his own food to school like me. I think he's Chinese”

“You two seem to have a lot in common, although, I think he might be Korean.”

“No, his name is Daejung”

“I know but you said he's Chinese.”

“He is.”

“Okay. . .” She was almost positive that the boy was Korean but decided to save this fight for another day.

“Well, I am very happy to hear that you've made a new friend. I'm very proud of you.” João smiled, holding his mother's hand as they walked to the car.

“Maybe we can talk to Daejung's parents and see if he can come over this weekend and have a big movie night in the backyard. We'll ask daddy to put up the big tent Nonno got you.”

“Yes! Yes!”

“And invite Alessio-”

“No. I have a new best friend.”

“That's not nice, Joey. Alessio can still be your best friend.”

“No, I don't want him there”

“But we already invited him over. Everyone's coming. Sio, Auntie and Uncle.”

“No. Just me, Dae and you or daddy.”

“We can't both be there?”

“No”

“Where's Samira going to go?”

“With Daddy.” Amina shook her head. João was so bossy but since it was his first sleep over she'd give him his way.

-

“Ms. McCants!”

“Yes Daejung?”

“I'm actually going to João's house so his mommy is going to pick me up and take me home”

“Okay, thank you for letting me know.”

Because of the heavy downpour students were dismissed from the auditorium. João and Daejung were among some of the last few students.

“João, Daejung” The boys ran up to Amina when she called.

“Hi Mrs. João’s mom!”

“Hi sweetheart” She smiled at the adorable boy as she signed them both out.

“My name is Daejung.” he beamed as if she didn't know his name already.

“It's very nice to meet you Daejung. My name is Amina-”