A Break

“Ma'am” Amina sat up and pulled her eye mask off, looking at the woman in the aisle.

“How can I help you?”

“Is this your child?”

“Hi mama” Her toddler waved at her with an adorable smile and wave. Amina nodded, looking around to see how she got out of her car seat.

“She crawled from under my seat.”

“Thank you. I really do apologize, it won't happen again. Can I offer you a drink or something?”

“No, that's okay.”

“Okay, enjoy your flight. I'm sorry.” Amina stood up in the crammed row and lifted her daughter over her husband.

“Sorry, baby. Cut it out!” She gritted through her teeth when Samira began whining and kicking her legs.

Amina was already not in a good mood since they had to fly economy. João had really bad motion sickness and Jamie was going through his own things.

“Are you okay?” She rubbed his face where samira kicked him.

“Yeah yeah.” He mumbled closing his eyes again.

“Have to go pee pee, mama!” She danced around crossing her legs.

“Ay yai yai.” Amina sighed asking Jamie to get up. He stood up and she came out of the row with Samira and grabbed her bag from the overhead bin. She held her hand walking her to the bathroom.

“Don't touch it.” She grabbed Samiras hand when she reached her hand out to touch the door.

“What did mama just say, Samira? Do you need a pow pow?” She frowned shaking her head.

“Then I need you to listen. Can you do that?” She asked while covering the toilet seat with a disposable cover. Samira ignored her, not wanting to talk to her mama anymore.

“Hm?”

“Yes.”

“Good, because next time I have to talk to you about your behavior you're going to get a pop on your bum, do you understand me?” The corners of her mouth twitched as she tried not to cry. Moments later she was in tears, Jamie could hear her wails from their seats.

“London. Psst!” London opened her eyes looking at Jamie.

“What?”

“Can you watch Joey for a minute?” She nodded, sitting beside João when Jamie stood up.

“Baby?” He knocked on the door.

Amina opened the door allowing him to squeeze into the small restroom.

“What's wrong mimma?” He asked as Amina sat Samira on the covered toilet.

“Mama give me pow pow.” She cried reaching for her daddy.

“Babe-”

“No, she's been being a brat all day and I've had enough of it.”

“I know but this is all new to her, she's still little.”

“I know. I didn't pop her. I told her if she kept it up then I would.”

“Okay, go sit and relax baby, I'll take care of the rest.”

“Thank you” She walked out, going back to her seat.

“You okay?” She nodded and London got up sitting across the aisle with her family.

“I want you to try to behave, Principessa.”

“Suprise!?”

“Yes. Daddy will get you a nice snack or maybe even a toy if you can be on your best behavior for the rest of the flight, deal?” She nodded with  devious grin and Jamie could only hope that she'd keep her word.

-

As they prepared for landing, João became nauseous. The drop in air pressure was doing a number on him. In addition to his ears popping.

“Sorry, mommy”

“It's okay. Don't apologize” She rubbed his back holding the sick bag for him. She rolled her eyes once Jamie and Samira clapped when the plane landed. She needed a break from her family.

Amina and João were the last two to leave the aircraft. She carried her ill six year old off looking around for her husband and their family.

“Awww, my bambino” Marco took João from her as soon as she was close enough. He and Amina's mom enjoyed first class while the rest of them sat in economy.

“I'm going to go check into a hotel for a night or two”

“Amina, this is a family vacation, family. You don't need to waste anymore money.” Her mother told her, standing next to her father in law.

“Be safe, baby. I love you, yeah?”

“Yes babe. I love you too. Samira be good and João, feel better bubba. Mommy loves you” She hugged and kissed her family members one by one starting with her children.

“You need to fix whatever little attitude you have, do you hear me?”

“Ma I just need a break. Why do you always have to make me feel bad for wanting to take time for myself ? God damn.”

London apologized before pulling Amina away.

“Just stay for a few days then I'll ask papa to keep the littles for a few days and we can find a hotel, yeah?” Amina nodded, she would try.