Christmas Donations

"So, mommy and I decided that now will be a good time to teach you guys about the giving part of this holiday season." Jamie sat down at the table with his wife and two children who were all in matching pajamas. It was a family tradition to wear matching pajamas during December.

"What does that mean, papa?" João asked curiously, sipping his hot chocolate.

"Do you want to take a guess?" Amina asked.

"We're giving people stuff for christmas?"

"Close but not quite, Smiley? Take a guess"

"Mmm, we're gonna buy gifts!"

"Gifts for who?"

"Me! Because I want puppy and a bunny and my car. Daddy said I get a car." She was so excited. She couldn't wait for Christmas.

"No. This Christmas we are going to do something a little different. You both have way too many toys, toys that you don't play with. So we're going to sort out the toys you use and the ones you don't use and were going to donate them to the group home downtown."

"What's a group home, mama?"

"It's where  foster children stay until their new parents are found"

"Did me and my sissy come from a group home?"

"No, you both came from your parents." Jamie told him, standing up and going into the living room where two large bins of toys sat where their coffee table once was.

"I'll help Samira, you do João?" Amina asked Jamie knowing that Samira would give him a hard way to go and he would let her have her way.

"Yeah"

The parents sat down on the sofa getting ready to organize this sorting.

"M'Keeping my toys!" João looked up at his sister.

"Samira, you don't even play with them. Some kids are poor. They need to have toys too."

"No."

"I used to be poor and I had no toys then I got rich with mommy and daddy and now you have to give back, right mommy?"

"Yes, we're giving back to our community and those that don't have, Samira. So we can do one at a time. Who wants to go first?"

"Me!" João volunteered.

"Come sit with mama or daddy" Amina tapped the cushion between her and Jamie. She grabbed an armful of her toys and sat at Jamie's feet, playing with them. He tried to lift her in his lap and she began to whine.

Amina shook her head, Samira could be such a brat when she was good and ready.

"I can give this away, right? Since i don't use it?"

"No you can't, it's not meant to be used. That ball is signed by Harry Kane. Put that over here." Jamie shook his head. Amina smiled seeing how giving João was compared to the little monster beside her husband.

"Let's see what else."

"Can I give this away?" He opened a smaller chest within the bin full of dress up clothes.

"Yes, put it here." He did as told going back to the bin.

Things were running smoothly until he came across something he wanted to keep.

"I don't want to give this away" he held a small worn out plush shark up.

"You don't play with it Mimmo" Jamie pointed to the donation pile. 

"I want this"

"When's the last time you used it, João" He shrugged.

"But I want it"