Until the end

Sapnap snapped. Something inside of him was growing bigger and bigger the closer the enemy was getting to Karl. This was the most protective of the boy he's ever felt and deep down he knew it had more to do with Karl than with the battle. He could smell it in his mate too, they both knew that something bigger was going on.
He wanted nothing more than to curl around the angel and act as a human shield, but his body would eventually break and he couldn't risk it breaking before the fight was over.

______
Dream sat on the shield. He was dead. It felt weird. He could feel the wind flowing through him! He could see down onto the field and honestly it hurt more than the pain from the explosion that killed him, being able to see how his death affected his loved ones.
He watched as Karl curled around his stomach. He watched as George ripped people's heads off with nothing but fear and fire in his eyes. He watched as Sapnap flames grew until it was hard to find the demon in the middle of them only to shrink as Sap ran back to the group to check on Karl. He watched as Hannah fell next to George and treated a slash in her leg.
He saw Tommy airdrop Technoblade into the middle of the horde of enemies. And he smiled as his fear for Techno's safety was replaced with fear for how strong the piglin was. He listened to Ember cheer Tubbo on as the ran headbutted a guy into next week. A small giggle escaped his lips as Wilbur and Ranboo aimed one TnT cannon at the others and fired it, getting a huge advantage in the fight.
But no matter how happy or proud he was of his friends, his family, down on the ground for how strong they have become in the wake of his death he still felt wrong.
It felt as if he left something important behind but he couldn't remember what it was.
An angel of death landed in front of the two teens, face twisted with sadness and understanding. She knew that they knew they were dead. It was now time to go into the realm of the dead and leave for good.
Dream stood.
He took a deep breath as he took one more look down at everyone.
The Gods were quiet as they watched the teens grab hands, holding onto each other as they took a step…and fell right through the shield.
Dream whooped as the wind stilled but whipped through him.
As advertised the shield stopped all living things, no matter how small, from passing through. But their not living anymore.
The pair barely stop on the ground, almost passing down through the crust. But then they start running across the field, scaring all the red armored soldiers that they pass as they laugh. Their family's are frozen when they stop in front of the weird group.
Embers bubble of a laugh has them coughing out their words "You guys thought we'd leave you like that?"