Chapter 17

"Wait, so we can't leave this time period at all?" Nate asked after Gideon had informed him, Jax, Ray and Nora about Sara's orders.

"No, apparently Captain Lance does not trust you to leave this time period without her on this ship and considering what happened the last time she tried to have a nice night out with Ms. Sharpe, can you blame her?" Gideon asked.

"What happened?" Jax asked, amused.

"We might have decided to go on a totem mission alone to the Bermuda Triangle to get the Earth totem from Blackbeard and it didn't go well." Ray said, being particularly vague about that.

"He means that this ship was nearly destroyed due to disturbances the triangle caused on my systems. It took Ms. Tarazi a long time to fix it and the ship was nearly destroyed." Gideon said.

"Yeah, honestly Ray, basic rule of maintaining this ship, steer clear of the Bermuda Triangle, it's right there in the manual." Jax said and he wasn't even joking about that, it really was in the Waverider's user manual.

"Okay, lesson learned." Ray said, deciding not to argue with Jax about it, since he knew that Jax knew the ship better than anyone else did. Even Rip.

"Anyways, since we can't leave this time period, I think Nora and I are going to do date night, since it's not like we really got the chance to do that before." Ray said and Nora nodded.

"I am so glad that I'm not stuck with that Fairy Godmother gig anymore. I mean yes, it was a way for me to cope with what I went through because of my bastard dad, but I didn't go through that in this reality and I like being able to use my powers whenever I want and not have to rely on the commands of children. And I don't have to wear that ridiculous dress and tiara anymore." Nora said, since there had been a few perks to her old gig as a Fairy Godmother, she was very glad to be free of it and she'd never let Tabitha trick her into taking on the role again.

"So Jax, you want to go get drinks, since it's not like either of us have dates right now." Nate said.

"Yeah, I think that I'll be very happy when Snart and Rory rejoin the team, if only so that I won't be the only single guy on this ship." Jax said.

"What about Behrad?" Nate asked.

"Fair point. But you'll be hooking up with Zari once we recruit her and Ray's with Nora and Sara's with Ava." Jax said.

"Who knows, maybe the future Mrs. Jackson is waiting for you on this mission, since weren't you married in the old reality?" Ray asked.

"Yeah, but that was a whole thing that didn't happen until after I left the Legends and right now I have no plans on doing that." Jax said.

"Come on, let's go enjoy our night off." Ray said and the other Legends nodded.

"Incoming message from Argus director Lyla Michaels." Gideon said.

"What is it?" Jax asked.

"She says that Mr. Snart and Mr. Rory are now ready for extraction. Would you prefer to wait until Captain Lance returns or do you want to do it now?" Gideon asked.

"I think it would be best if we waited for Sara to get back, if only because I don't think she trusts us to pull any kind of mission without her to watch us." Ray said and Nate nodded in agreement.

"Okay then, I guess we're having a night off." Jax said, surprised that for once, the Legends were doing the smart thing instead of the usual thing.

Meanwhile, back at the Vanishing Point, Rip Hunter's attempts to start a rebellion were not going well, since the moment he'd arrived at the Vanishing Point in nothing more than the jumpship, the Time Masters had immediately been suspicious, especially after they discovered that the Waverider was somehow beyond their ability to track and it was at that point that they'd realized that he'd likely been turned against them, so before he could get too far, the guards had him arrested, which was why he was currently stuck in one of the Vanishing Point's cells, wondering what form of torture they were going to use against him today. Every day they asked him the same questions. Where was his ship? Why can't they track it? Et cetera.

But Rip remained firm in his silence, especially since on his way to the Vanishing Point, he had sent a message to Miranda and Jonas to find a place to hide, since he knew now that the Time Masters knew about his family. Fortunately, Rip had been prepared for this possibility, even before the memory restoration. Back when he and Miranda had first gotten married, they'd created an escape plan for Miranda in case the Time Masters or anyone else found out about their marriage. Rip had managed to secure an alternate form of time travel tech and had given it to Miranda, saying that it was one use only and it was programmed to take her to a fragmentation, though he didn't know which one, but it would provide her and later Jonas with a quick escape and he'd warned them to use it so that they would be safe from the Time Masters until they were deposed.

However, Rip was pulled from his thoughts when he heard the door to the prison block open and he saw Captain Eve Baxter walk in.

"Captain Baxter. What brings you here? Are the time masters hoping I might reveal something to you when I would not to them?" Rip asked.

"No. I'm here because I want to hear why you'd turn your back on them. I need to know." Eve said.

"I discovered the truth. Their hypocrisy. They don't want to protect history, they want to control it. To engineer it according to their own designs and not caring about the consequences." Rip said.

"You're lying." Eve said.

"Am I? Why don't you ask them where they get all their data about the timeline from? Ask them about what the Oculus is and see how they react. They claim to be doing what needs to be done for history, but in reality, they're doing what they have to just because they can. The idea of free will terrifies them. They want a timeline that they can control completely. I simply found a way to cut the strings off me." Rip said.

"How can you be so sure?" Eve asked.

"Because I chose to disobey them once before when I allowed myself to fall in love with Miranda Coburn. And that helped me be clear minded enough to realize the truth. If you don't believe me, then why don't you ask your ship to take you to the Oculus wellspring. You'll find that everything I've told is true there." Rip said, thinking that maybe he could finally start this rebellion after all, since he could tell that Baxter was considering his words she left him alone. Now he just had to hope that she'd follow his advice and learn the truth for herself. Once she did, then they could strike.