17

Makoto came home late that night. He had just wanted to stay with Sousuke longer after getting engaged. But he had school the next day and his mom was expecting him home. He tried to quietly open the front door, it was a little after one in the morning and he didn't want to wake anyone. But just as luck would have it, his mom was still up and waiting for him. "Welcome home."

Makoto jumped, "M-mom!"

His mom went up to him, walking around him, checking his person, "I've been waiting for you, are you alright? Did something happen? You didn't call or text..."

"M-mom," his tail drooped, he really did feel bad for not letting her know, "I'm sorry..."

She took a step away from Makoto, "Were you with Sousuke all this time?"

Makoto pushed his ears back against his head, he was holding his hands awkwardly in front of him, covering his ring. "Yes."

She seemed a little less worried and more annoyed, "I know you said you were going over there after school today but you should've told me that you were going to spend all the afternoon and night there. I've been worried all day. Makoto, don't make a habit of this."

Makoto could only shake his head, "I won't."

She just looked at him and sighed. "You don't have to tell me what you did when you were together, I just hope you're being safe..." Makoto didn't know what to say. But his mom dropped the subject, "You should go get ready for bed you do have school in the morning after all."

Makoto smiled and nodded, scampering off to his room to get ready to go to sleep. Makoto was so tired but he didn't feel like he could fall asleep. He kept hearing Sousuke's words in his ears. When he was laying in bed trying to fall asleep, he held his hand out to look at the ring Sousuke had given him. He was glad his mom hadn't noticed it, he wanted to be careful about the way he told her the news.

Makoto just couldn't sleep, he wanted to be in Sousuke's arms. He eventually picked up his phone and messaged Sousuke, "Hey Sousuke ^^"

Sousuke messaged back that same minute, "What are you doing up so late?? I thought you were going to be asleep by now :)"

"It's harder to fall asleep without you ^///^"

"I wish you were here too" Sousuke messaged back, "but for tonight we'll have to pretend that we're in each other's arms." Sousuke added, "Next time you come over, I'm going to make sure you stay the night T-T"

"Deal ^^"

[A/N: this is where things start to get updated asynchronously... I have a part (in the works) for the "unrated" cut that takes place after chapter 16 but I deemed moving the story forward and updating this version more important xD]