38

A month later and little Mariko was still so small.  Sousuke and Makoto had been pretty much home all the time to take care of her.  Not that Makoto was complaining, he loved being a parent and being home meant he got to spend more time with Sousuke.  It was probably for the best that Makoto was staying home, he hadn't learned how to control his vampire yet and even though Sousuke was helping him, sometimes he'd suddenly change and Sousuke would have to lock him in their room.

Makoto knocked lightly on his side of the door, he'd had another spontaneous transformation and Sousuke barely had time to get him away from Mariko and his mom, who was helping watch her, and into the bedroom.  Makoto was alone in the room and he had come back to his senses.  He had torn up the room pretty badly this time.  He whispered through the door, "S-Sousuke?  Did I hurt you?"

"Not this time Mako," he sounded like he was breathing heavily, he must've had to put up a good fight.  Makoto heard a jingling and the door handle jiggled.  Makoto stepped back as Sousuke opened the door.

Makoto practically fell into his arms, clutching at Sousuke's strong shoulders.  He cried softly, whispering, "I'm sorry... I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to leave me."

Sousuke lifted Makoto's chin.  He was serious as he said, "Don't be sorry.  It's not your fault.  I want to always be by your side."

Makoto hugged Sousuke tighter, "I love you Sousuke."

Sousuke wrapped his arms protectively around Makoto, pulling him tight against his chest.  Sousuke still had scars from Mariko's birthday and with every one of Makoto's transformations, he'd collect a few more.  Sousuke never complained, he felt responsible.  He just wanted to make sure Makoto was able to adjust.

Makoto pushed his head into Sousuke's shoulder, he was still shaking from tears, "You should leave me..."

Sousuke rested his hand on the back of Makoto's head, "Makoto I'm not here out of pity or because I have to be.  I'm with you because I want to be, I love you Makoto, you and I will never let you go."  Sousuke lifted Makoto's face and gently pressed his lips to Makoto's.  Makoto wrapped his arms around Sousuke's shoulders and leaned in close to Sousuke, it'd been a while since he'd been able to be that close to Sousuke.

Sousuke broke the kiss and leaned his forehead against Makoto's.  He closed his eyes, "Makoto... Let's get married."

Makoto grinned, "Of course."

"I mean now," Sousuke looked right into Makoto's eyes, "I don't want to go another day without being married to you."

"Sousuke..." Makoto stared at him wide-eyed.  When he knew that Sousuke was serious, he closed his eyes and smiled, "Yes."