35

"Something's wrong," the doctor was looking at Makoto. He was still panting and could hardly move. But hearing the doctor say that was far from calming.

The baby had just come and the doctor was cleaning her up. Makoto wanted to know what was wrong. He reached out with a shaky arm, "What's wrong? I want to hold my baby."

Makoto began to tear up from saying that. He had a baby. He and Sousuke were parents. Sousuke was right by his side, cradling Makoto. The doctor brought little Mariko back over to Makoto and Sousuke and placed her in Makoto's waiting arms. She looked concerned as she said, "She's too cold, I'm going to get some blankets for her."

The doctor quickly returned with a pile of blankets for little Mariko. As Makoto wrapped her up gently, the doctor looked on with a puzzled look on her face. "She's very small, I weighed her and she's 4 pounds and 3 ounces." Makoto looked at her questioningly, he didn't know if that was good or bad. The doctor added, "Usually newborns are about 7 pounds."

Sousuke looked down at their baby, hoping everything would be alright. He gingerly reached out his hand. He didn't want to make Mariko colder but he wanted to hold her. He lightly ran his fingers along her head, she was so small. Sousuke smiled and held Makoto closer. The doctor asking him a question took him by surprise, "Forgive me if this seems like a strange question, but Mr Yamazaki, are you human?"

Sousuke hesitated before answering. Makoto looked at him and nodded, as if saying that it was okay to tell her. Sousuke said, "No, I'm... a vampire."

She seemed surprised at first, but then said, "Actually that explains a lot."

"Explains what?" Makoto's mom, who was now sitting next to her son and granddaughter, asked.

"Well, I think what happened is that she inherited more of the vampire than the neko." She continued, "That would explain why she's smaller than average and colder than she should be."

"Will she be okay?" Sousuke was worried. He felt like it was his fault.

"I don't know." The doctor's response just made him more worried. He got more anxious when he realized that Mariko still hadn't opened her eyes.

He could see Makoto crying as he cradled the small bundle, even he was looking paler than usual. Sousuke hugged him closer, "It's going to be okay, Mariko will be alright." He hoped that saying it out loud would ease their anxiety but there was no such luck.

Makoto was feeling faint, he couldn't focus, he tried to focus on his daughter but his vision was still blurry. He hugged Mariko closer to his chest and pressed into Sousuke more. He squeezed his eyes shut for a moment, "Doctor?"

"Yes Makoto?" The doctor turned to look over at him and immediately ran over to him. She did a quick inspection and saw that Makoto had started bleeding again. "No, this shouldn't be happening," she said under her breath but Makoto still heard her.

"Wh-what's happening?" Makoto had to know.

"Makoto, something is wrong because you're bleeding again even though the birth is over," the doctor was rifling through the supplies she brought, looking for the thing she needed. "I need to do this fast."

But Makoto was already running out of time. He could feel himself getting lightheaded from blood loss. He didn't believe he would make it in time. He whispered to Sousuke while still looking at Mariko, "Take good care of her Sousuke."

"Makoto, don't talk like that," even Sousuke's voice was panic stricken, Makoto knew that wasn't a good sign.

He kept his eyes open for as long as he could, he wanted to see his child before he died. Right before Makoto couldn't keep his eyes open anymore, he saw little Mariko open her eyes. Makoto smiled when he saw her teal eyes, they were just like Sousuke's. Makoto felt a strange sensation of completely letting go before all that was left was nothing.