019

Chapter | Nineteen

Chapter | Nineteen

Somehow, I had gotten Richard to agree with me. He stayed quiet and I heard him confirm to Taron on the phone that I was okay, just hungover from drinking with Clara.

I felt like shit, I didn't want to lie to him. I had told him the article made a mistake, that it wasn't a bartender but a guest at the club that had gotten assaulted.

Though he was growing suspicious of the lack of me showing my face and facetime with him. I assured him that I was just stressed and sent him an older picture on snapchat.

I was going to extreme lengths to keep this from him as my skin healed. He was coming home tomorrow, and I had said yes to going back to work.

Torrance had asked me five times if I was sure and that he would have Serena on backup call, just in case. Clara and I were the usual duo at the bar and we continued like that.

The cut on my cheek was still visible, though the dark colors were disappearing and in the dark light of the club, nobody would be able to tell.

The stitches on my back had been taken out and were healing nicely as well. There were almost no traces of the assault. Well, except Richard and Clara, they kept pestering me about telling Taron as soon as he came home.

I would try to push it back as much as I could. I didn't want to.

The thing was that if I had told Taron what had happened the night he freaked out and suspected I was hurt, if I had confirmed it. He would've torn himself apart for not being able to be here.

I knew him, he would feel guilty and helpless. I didn't want him to feel those things, though I know I couldn't be the judge of that, but I could delay those feelings to when he was here.

I lifted another box up to the bar counter as Clara and I refilled the bar to be ready for the opening hours. Which was in exactly forty five minutes.

"You're not gonna tell him are you?" Clara asked with a grunt as she placed the box on the counter. "Not if I can avoid it" I admitted and she sighed.

"I wouldn't have done what you're doing right now, but I'm still here for you whatever you decide to do" Clara said and I nodded her way and blew her a kiss.

"You girls ready for tonight?" Torrance asked as he leaned over the counter. "Yup, all set" I assured him and shot him a smile. He nodded his head and turned to me.

"If anything comes up, let me know. Don't pressure yourself, just the second you feel uncomfortable or in pain, let me know instantly" Torrance said and I nodded my head, confirming what he asked of me.

"I will, thank you" I said and he nodded before shouting orders for the runners and coat staff. I shared a nod and a look with Diego, ready to start over and start a new night.

Before we knew it, the forty five minutes had gone and the chaos began. It was friday night once again, everyone was partying their asses off.

Hours into the night, we hadn't had any trouble so far. Richard and a friend of his showed up, taking a secure place at the bar counter. Entertaining both Clara and I.

"You have to tell him, Iz" Richard protested, he had left his friend and Clara to lecture me about doing what was right. I knew he was right, I just needed a bit more time.

"I will, just not now" I said and shrugged, avoiding his eyes. "Iz, Taron is one of my best friends, I will tell him if you don't" Richard said.

"Really? I thought he was your best friend, like the best" I said, trying to distract him. "Well, he's not my oldest friend but best–Hey!" Richard realized and cut himself off and I glared at him as he sent me the same stern look.

"I will tell Taron when the time is right" I assured him. Though Richard did smart in not believing a word I said. "Tell Taron what?" A voice called out, Richard's face drained of color as a hand slapped down onto his shoulder.

My face dropped as well. "Hi baby" Taron said with a wide smile and looked at me, though just as he did, the disco lights turned to the bar. A brighter and clearer color hit my face, giving Taron a clear view of my black eye and cheek bone along with the cut.

"Taron..." I started, but his smile dropped and his brows furrowed. He let go of Richard and practically ran around the side to get behind the bar counter.

He took my face in his hands, though careful to not touch my cheek bone and my breath hitched in response to his touch after this long.

"I will explain everything, just–""--You lied to me? You too?" Taron asked me in disbelief and directed the last bit to Richard who looked down. "I'm sorry, mate" He apologized and slid out of his seat and headed back to Clara.

"Baby, please–just hear me out, okay?" I begged him, his hands let go of my face and he looked me over, checking my arms and he turned me despite my verbal protests. I wasn't in doubt when he had seen the cut on my back as well.

His breathing was slow but harsh. He was furious, he turned my back fully to him as he looked me over. I clenched my jaw to keep the tears from falling, trying to stay strong.

I turned back around and attempted to cup his face in my hands, but he moved out of my hold. "Taron, please. I'm okay, I really am. I didn't want to worry you" I said, he scoffed at my last words.

"I imagined how you would feel of seeing me hurt and not being able to be here, and it's okay. You have a job to do, I didn't want to make it harder for you. I was going to tell you when you came home tomorrow–you weren't supposed to find out like this" I rambled and managed to fist his shirt in my hands, allowing me to be somewhat closer to him.

"That wasn't your call to make, Iz. You lied to me, you faked pictures of you when I questioned you avoiding my facetime calls and videos" Taron scoffed in disbelief.

"Yes, but I didn't want you to–""--To feel bad about not being good enough for you?" Taron questioned, I shook my head no immediately.

"No, no! I wanted to explain in person. I didn't want it to be over the phone where I couldn't assure you that I was okay" I tried to explain, but it just became worse the more I tried.

"Hey, lady! Can I get a drink around here?!" A guy shouted at me, I turned to look at him and then back at Taron, who shook his head in disbelief.

"Yes, I'm sorry, just a minute" I told the guy and turned to Taron, but he stepped backwards, letting my hold of his shirt drop. "Don't let me hold you back from doing your job" He said and walked out from behind the bar.

I stepped forward to follow him, but then I took a step towards the impatient customer who sat at the bar. "Hello? I'm still waiting!" He shouted at me.

My eyes followed Taron as he shoved his way through the crowd, automatically I took a step towards the dancefloor, but the customer slapped his hands onto the counter to get my attention.

"Richard!" I called out, he was already watching Taron, so he knew what I needed him to do. He nodded and took off after Taron, leaving me with a pain in my chest.

The customer told me what he wanted and I hurried to make it and then let my eyes search for the two best friends. "What happened? Why did he leave?" Clara hurried up to me as soon as the annoying customer had left.

"He got angry, he wanted to surprise me. He came back earlier and he saw and heard Richard and I talking, he didn't let me explain" I ramble to her and she nods along as she registers my words.

"Richard is with him, he's gonna be fine. He's gonna come back" Clara assured me.

But he didn't come back to the bar. When I came home, the lights were off in his apartment as well, I had tried calling and texting him, but nothing got through to him.