Chapter 11. Escape It

It's been two months since I moved in with the Clark's and let me tell you it has been living hell. The days have begun to blur; I've lost track in the endless whirl. I can't seem to get a grasp on reality anymore; there's this hollowing feeling at my core, putting a strain on my bones, my being. I'm being consumed by this inconsolable loneliness, an emptiness that can't be quenched. I'm burdened with the what ifs,' the undying questions that flood my mind. I didn't know what a struggle it would be to merely exist, what a burden it would be, exhausting me until the very end. I'm longing for something more, something unexplainable; wanting to be free, to find solace, yet I'm always coming up short. I want to die every day.

I have had my door kicked in four times, I have had two fingers broken, and a sprained ankle. And that was all just from Tyler.

I haven't had a full meal since I have been here, which has caused me to lose weight faster than I ever have before. I had an eating problem before this, but it has only made it worse. I want to leave. I want to get out. Need a new placement. Why did Layla think this was a good home?

It is currently 11:23 at night. This is my chance. Tyler is at some party and Mr. and Mrs. Clark are asleep. I carefully grab my school and clothing bag from the floor next to the mattress and put both on my back. I go over to the window and open it like a mouse.

Thank god that it made no noise. Once the window is fully opened, I slip my small body out of it and onto the fire escape, that fully needs some maintenance done on it.

I close the window gently behind me and start to climb down the fire escape.

My feet hit the Harlem pavement and a sense of calm rushes over me. I'm out. I did it. The Puerto Rican flags that hang above me remind me of my Latin background. I haven't been able to speak Spanish in that house for two months. It's almost like I forgot I actually could.

I stop admiring the street and start to run. I needed to get as far away, and as fast, as I possibly could get. The closest subway station isn't too far away. Once I get there I am free.

I continue to run until I get to the station. I couldn't risk getting caught. I scan my metro card and step on the A train platform, and soon enough the train comes. I know exactly where it's going. It's going to Washington Heights. This is normally the time the train runs to upper Manhattan. I really don't want to go that route, but I have no other choice.

The train comes blasting through, almost knocking me off my feet. I regain my balance and wait for the doors to open. Once they do I step in and sit in an empty seat, away from everyone. I can feel eye daggers being pointed directly towards me. I don't really care though. I put my head down and continued fiddling with my fingers.

The subway starts to move and I don't blink an eye. I have been able to navigate New York City since I was seven years old. Subway trains, and crazy people on them are just normal at this point.

One by one people get off the subway. I don't look at any of them, but I can just feel the energy, and it is off today. I don't know why, but it doesn't feel like the subway I know.

But I ignore it and continue with the ride without a thought in my brain.

The ride drags on until it reaches 181st. The train comes to a screeching halt, and the doors open. I get out of the subway and take the escalator up.

Northern Manhattan is a part of the city that I know like the back of my hand. Growing up in Washington Heights makes it easy to navigate this area. But it also exposes me to danger. I'm sure my parents have told all of their friends about me. And guess what... They aren't good people.

I spent almost twenty minutes walking randomly with no destination in mind, until I found a small alleyway away from everything to sleep in. Since it is a Friday, this is most definitely going to be a long weekend.