Chapter 28. Theater Kid?

"Okay that weekend was not long enough," Logan complained as she ate her lunch. "I know! I hate Mondays so much," I groaned as I thought about it. "Hey. At least the musical announcement is today," Aniyah said optimistically. The rest of my friends were excited, but I was not. Well that's not fully true. I was excited to see what it was, but I don't want to be in it unless it's something cool.

"Are you guys going to audition?" Jada asked all of us. Aniyah and Logan said 'duh' simultaneously. I cracked a smile at them. I didn't know what to say, so I just shrugged.

"Come on Sam, you have to audition!" Logan pleaded. "Once we know what it is, I'll think about it. Maybe I'll be a techie or something like that," I said casually.

"Ugh, fine," Logan said with a fake hurt on her face. I laughed at her silliness.

After twenty more minutes of us chatting and talking about the musical, the bell rang to dismiss us to our fifth period. Which for me is math. Math is probably my favorite subject, but also one I stress in if I don't understand the concept right away.

"You better audition!" Jada said as she walked down the hall in the opposite direction as Aniyah and I. "I'll think about it when we know more!" I shouted back. And with that it was math time.

✨✨✨

I walked into my Theater Production class at the end of the day and took a seat on the stage of the auditorium. Our auditorium wasn't as big as other surrounding schools, but it did the job.

As people came filling in, Jada, Logan, and Aniyah all sat next to me. They all talked about what they thought the musical would be. I wasn't as excited, but I did want to know.

"All right, settle down everyone," Mrs. Violet, our eccentric theater director said. She was Cuban with darker skin, and had golden brown eyes.

"I'm going to take off two more musicals that we will NOT be doing," she said as she pointed to the board with pictures of musicals.
"The first one we are not doing...Annie." I heard some people groan with sadness. She ripped the picture down and set it on the floor.
"The next one we are not doing...Newsies." Some people booed. If I had to choose, I would pick Newsies. I was kind of sad.

The last two that remained were West Side Story and In The Heights. Most of us in the theater department were Latino, so doing either of the shows would be fine, I just really don't want to do Heights. Don't get me wrong I love In The Heights, but I can't do In The Heights.

"Okay, final two!" Mrs. Violet exclaimed. My friends raved around me about how much they would love to do either show.
"Okay, our 2016 spring musical...drum roll please," she said, full of suspense. People pat their legs and the stage for a drum roll.
"In The Heights!" She exclaimed. People around me cheered and screamed with excitement. Me on the other hand, I sat in shock. If Lin finds out we are doing Heights he will want me to audition. And if I do the show, everyone will find out I'm Lin's kid. Aniyah is the only one who knows, and I want to keep it that way.

"If you are interested in auditioning for the show, please come up and grab an audition packet. If you are interested in stage or tech crew, see me after class," Mrs. Violet said as she headed to her office.

"I'm so excited to do Heights!" Jada squealed. Jada's mom is Columbian and her dad is black, she basically had been dreaming about being the role of Nina since the show came out.

"We all know you are going to be Nina," Logan said with a grin. "I really hope so!" She squealed a bit.

I just observed their conversation but not very intently. "Sam, who are you going to try out for?" Aniyah asked me. I didn't know how to respond. "I don't know yet," I said honestly.