Chapter 3. "Don't Be a Stranger."

I have been sitting here with Daveed for about 20 minutes when I hear a knock at the door.

"Decent." He yelled loud enough so that the person could hear, I jumped a little. The person opened the door and who I laid my eyes on made my jaw drop.

"Hey Daveed ca-." He stopped and looked at me. "Hey Sam, nice to see you again." He came over and hugged me. I smiled a little bit. "Hi Lin." I responded back.

"You guys know each other?" Daveed asks, shocked. "Well kind of. I met him on the subway this morning. He goes to Hunter." He spoke and I reminisced about this morning.

"You okay?" Lin spoke again looking at my arms. "Oh, yeah." I lied slightly. Lin gave me a sad smile, I think he caught on to the whole situation.

"What are you doing here?" I ask Lin. I am still very confused. "I work here. I play Hamilton, and I wrote the show." Well I'll be damned. "That's cool." I say kind of plainly. Musicals aren't really my thing

"Anyways, what are you doing here?" Lin asked both of us. "Well this young boy wasn't looking where he was going, and almost got ran over. Then I saw blood on his sleeves and decided to take him here to get cleaned up." Daveed explained to Lin in which he nodded. I was still freaking out on the inside from all of the gender affirming language.

"Well if you ever need me I'm here." Lin said, and I smiled.

"Daveed." Lin redirected the conversation to what I am assuming he had planned in the first place. "Can you come with me to Oak's dressing room? I need to get your guys opinions on... you know." I guess he has some secret thing he is working on.

"Yeah. Are you okay here?" Daveed asks me, and I nod. "I'll be back." And with that they both left the room.

It had only been five minutes and I had gotten very uncomfortable. I didn't want to impose and I felt bad they had to deal with me.

I suddenly heard footsteps coming towards the door. I looked to see a woman with long, straight, dark hair. She was really pretty.

"Oh, you scared me. Who are you?" She asked me. I was wildly uncomfortable. "My name is Sam." I answered plainly. "Oh, well my name is Phillipa, you can call me Pippa though." She smiles at me. "Do you know where Daveed is?" The woman asks. "Yeah, he went with Lin to his room." I tell her and she nods, heading out of the door.

I sat in Daveed's room for another twenty minutes until he came back.

"I should really get going. My parents... they are probably worried." I lied to him "Wait, let me give you Lin's number. He seemed worried about you." I internally smiled. Lin was the first person I had met, and he was really nice to me.

Daveed took my phone and entered his number. "Don't be a stranger." He said and I smiled. 

I found my way out of the theater and walked. I walked until my legs gave up. I was back in Central Park and this time it was dark. Nothing good ever happens after dark.

I sat down at a bench and got lost in my thoughts. I thought about what Daveed said. Don't be a stranger. Why would anyone want to be more than strangers with a broken, 14 year old, trans boy, who has no home? I think about how bad and how good this day has been. I got kicked out for being me, but then completely validated. I was called a boy ever since I met them. Like they didn't see anything other than that. It felt nice.

Then again, I can't get too attached to this feeling. I am only going to set myself up for failure.

The last thing I remember was trying to keep my eyes open. That failed.

Lin's POV

After Sam left I felt a sense of danger for him. All of the cuts on his arms weren't for nothing. He was a very handsome young man, and Daveed seemed worried too.

I called Vanessa to see if she could find anything on this boy.

"Hey V, I have a favor to ask you." I said into the phone. "Okay, what is it?" She asked. "Can you find a file on Samuel Alverez?" I explained the whole situation and she said she would do her best.

I set my phone down and sighed. I hope he was okay. But for now I have a show to do.

✨✨✨

After the show I rode the subway to Washington Heights, my home. I got to my apartment and opened the door. Sebastian was already asleep and Vanessa was working on a case. I sat down at the counter with my mind still on Sam. 'I wonder why he did that to himself?' I thought to myself. 'Was he being abused?' I hope not. My mind kept running, not letting go of the thought of this boy.

"Lin," my wife said from the hallway. "Yeah." I responded, getting out of my trance. "Come to bed." She came over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Are you okay?" She asked, obviously catching my mood. "Yeah, I'm just...thinking." I stood up and followed her to our bedroom and laid down on our soft and warm bed.

"Hey, I looked into Samuel Alverez and I couldn't find anything. Not a single trance of that kid." V spoke getting into bed herself.

"Huh, that's weird." I said, trying to figure it out. Maybe he gave a fake name. If a bunch of strangers asked me for my personal information I would lie too.

"Hey, don't stress, it will be okay." V comforted me. "V you don't get it, he was hurting himself, I saw it. He had cuts and bruises all over his arms." She nodded. "Lin, I promise that we will find him. It will be okay." She placed a gentle kiss on my lips, I kissed back. "Good night." I whispered in her ear. "Good night." She replied and rolled over.

I laid there for a few minutes calming my brain down, and that was the last thing I remember before everything went dark.

Thank you for reading. Make sure to Vote and comment any suggestions. - Sam🩵

Word Count: 1087