Chapter 7. For Now

Sam's POV

I woke up to the sound of people talking and a code blue being called. Unfortunately that code was not for me. I sat up taking in the hospital room that I had gotten equated to. I grabbed my phone from the table that was to the left of me and typed in my passcode. The time displayed 10:16 am. I groaned and shifted in my bed. I noticed that Lin had left. He did have a house to go to. When can I get out of here?

Like it was on cue Dr. Kade entered the room. "Hey, how are you today?" The doctor asked me while he was checking my vitals. "I'm okay. I'm ready to go home." I stopped for a second realizing what I had just said. Home? I don't know that is something I will ever have again. Dr. Kade seemed to catch my mood change. "Hey, we will find that for you, whatever that looks like." He tried to reassure me, but it didn't help. It only reminded me that I was a foster kid now.

"Okay, we'll good news, you are good to go and I will have discharge papers for you to sign in a second." I nodded and went back on my phone. I wonder what twitter was doing this morning. I clicked on the blue app and started to scroll down seeing what everyone was doing.

After about five minutes I saw a tweet that caught my eye.

@Lin_Manuel- Legal stuff is so boring. Thank you @VAMIT for being the most amazing wife I could ask for and Sebastian for entertaining us😂.

I wonder what he was doing. I tapped on his profile and looked at what he posts. There is a lot about Hamilton and his family. His family looked so happy, like they had no care in the world and were living in there own bubble.

I followed the man that I had gotten more comfortable with and liked the post that was on my feed. I put my now deilluminating phone on the table beside me and got out of bed to put my clothes on.

After I got into my clothes I heard a knock on the door, and a person walked in. Why knock if you are going to come in anyways? "Hello, are you Samuel?"

There was a young woman, maybe mid twenties, she had chocolate skin and long box braids. She was wearing a shinn length pink floral dress and a white cardigan. "Yeah that's me." I responded to her and she sat on the couch next to me. "My name is Layla. I am going to be your social worker from now on." She told me. I just nodded my head and went with it. On the inside I was screaming.

"Now I have a temporary place you can stay for the time being so we can find a family for you." She smiled sympathetically at me, you could tell that she enjoyed her career, like she actually wanted to help kids get out of these situations.

I came back to reality when she handed me my file to review. "Make sure everything is right." I nodded and opened the manilla folder and looked at all of the medical records and birth certificate information.

Something caught my eye when I was looking at the documents, my preferred name was on almost everything except my Birth Certificate and my Social Security Card. I looked at the folder in awe seeing how all of my medical records have been changed.

I looked back up at Layla with my eyes glistening with tears that were starting to form. She looked at me and smiled. "Did you do this?" I asked her. She looked at me confused. "Do what?" Kayla's expression turned from confused to concerned, she tried to look at the folder in my hands but pulled it away before she could see. "Nothing, nevermind." She seemed confused about the folder but didn't question it further. Then it dawned on me, Ohhhh, Medical Records. Dr. Kade came in clutch. All I need to do is hide my birth certificate and social security card from my new foster parents.

"Okay are you ready to go?" I stayed silent. I didn't know how I could find the strength to keep pushing. "I know it's hard, and it will be for a while. But it will all be okay." Layla tried to reassure me but I had so many bottles of emotions that I just lost it.