Chapter 19. Show me

Lin's POV

I walked into the theater and made my way up to my dressing room. Not very many people were here yet since most of the main cast is out shopping. They all should be getting here soon.

I pulled out my phone and started a periscope since I didn't have anything better to do. The viewer came flooding in and so did the comments. "Hello, Hello, Hello!" I said waving at the screen.

"What is your favorite cast member?" I said as I read a comment. "Yes." I laughed. "I don't have favorites." I said truthfully and smiled.

I answered a few more questions before I got bored, but what made me really turn off the live was a concerning text I got from Groff.

Groffsause👑; Hey I am walking up the stairs, but when I get there I have to talk to you about something important. It's about Sam.

I hope he didn't get hurt, or do anything stupid.

I fixed the concern from my face realizing I was still live. "Okay, I have to start getting ready. Have a wonderful rest of your day." I said and turned off the live.

Just then there was a knock on the door and it was gently pushed open. It was Groff. "Hey." I welcomed him. He set his stuff down on his side of our shared dressing room, then sat down on the couch. "How was shopping?" I asked not to try to cut to the chase. "It was good. Very productive." He answered. He then dug in his pocket and pulled out my card that I had given Pippa for Sam. He handed it back to me and I set it on the desk.

We stayed silent for a second before I got impatient. "So what did you need to talk to me about?" I was nervous. I really hope nothing is wrong.

"Umm... So..." he paused. It was like he was trying to gather his thoughts. He sighed and spoke up. "Yesterday when you were in the girls dressing room, I came in here and saw Sam having a panic attack." My heart was crushed. He did leave the room kind of fast, but I thought he just needed to use the bathroom or something. "After I calmed him down, I could see he was in pain and I looked down at his left arm and he had hurt himself."

I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. How could I be so oblivious to all of this. "He... he hurt himself? How?" I asked with broken words. I wanted to know. "I wasn't really sure, but later I saw a thumb tack laying on the ground so I guessed that." Groff said try to gain his composure as well. "I wanted you to know this because I couldn't stand back and watch him hurt himself like that." He said and stood up. He hugged me as I blankly stared at the wall.

I suspected he had a past with self harm, but I thought he was doing better. I should have done something before it got to this point. I thought he was okay. Apparently he isn't. How am I supposed to even have this conversation with him later? All I know is that I need to be a better dad for him.

✨✨✨

The rest of the night went on with emotions running high. Sam was on my mind all night. I was almost crying during Dear Theodosia and Stay Alive Reprise. It all became very clear that Sam was now a part of this family. He was my kid.

I stepped off the train car with Kendrick Lamar running through my headphones. I made my way up the escalator and into the dark streets of what I call home.

As I made my way to the front door of the apartment I couldn't help but rehearse what I would say to Sam. I'm not even sure if he's up, but I can't get him out of my head.

I opened the front door and all of the lights were off. I knew Vanessa had work all day today so she is probably passed out. I flicked on the living room light and set all of my stuff down. Then I made my way to Sam's room. The closer I got the more and more I could hear  faint music. This music wasn't upbeat, it was more somber, and slow.