Chapter 14. Finding Comfort

Sam's POV

This is not something I would admit out loud, but the park was kind of fun. Sebastian and I played a little bit on the playground, mainly the swings with me pushing him, and I sat with Lin on the bench too. We talked a little bit, but I didn't feel like letting the voice come out of my vocal cords very much. Lin seemed pretty okay with that though, he has enough voice for both of us.

We ended up going back to the apartment an hour later. Sebastian was getting tired after he let all his energy out, and Vanessa needed to get ready to go into work. She told me she didn't know how long she would be there, so that meant I had to go with Lin to the theater. The theater was a place that I had little knowledge of. Like most things, it was all so new to me. The foreign feeling of everything was very overwhelming. It's not necessarily a ten out of ten experience if I would say so.

But the time did eventually come that I had to go with Lin to the theater. "Who is going to be with Sebastian?" I asked Lin before heading out the door. "Our babysitter Gigi is on the way. She will be here before V leaves." Lin laughed a little bit at my little knowledge. I felt my face go bright red. I didn't like to be embarrassed. "Ready to go?" Lin asked me. I simply nodded. Not ready to speak after being embarrassed the last time I did speak.

We walked out of the door and down the hallway, eventually reaching an elevator, then heading down, until we reached the street. Lin and I walked to the subway station at 181st and waited for the A. The train eventually came and we stepped on, trying to find a spot to sit in the evening rush. There was only one spot to sit in one of the corners. I just assumed Lin would take it, but I was surprised when he grabbed the pole next to it. I went over to him and grabbed the pole too. There was no way I was going to sit down.

"Are you going to sit?" Lin asked me while still holding the pole. "That is your spot." I told him. I could feel my cheeks heating up. I didn't like this. "Kid, I insist. If something happens and you are standing up, you could get hurt. I would rather take that risk." Lin pushed. I felt bad that he was going to give up his comfort for me. I really had no say in it though, because the next thing I know is him slightly pushing towards the seat.

I sighed and sat down, looking up at Lin. "Thank you." He said and slightly laughed. I did too. It was very sweet of him. But I still felt bad. I didn't like taking things from others, even if it was just a seat on the subway.

The ride went smoothly and fine. We got off at 42nd street and made our way out of the station into the little sunlight left in the day. I start to feel a little tired even though I had a nap earlier. What can I say, I am a very tired person.  Anyway Lin and I make our way up the four streets and make a right onto 46th street. I look at the surrounding theaters. The first one that came into sight was the Imperial theater. It was advertising a show called Les Miserables. I wonder what that is about. It sounds french. I kept looking around and saw a big sign that aid Scientology on it. Again, very confused. For someone who has lived in New York City all my life, there are things that I have no clue about. I can see more theaters in the distance, and the start of Times Square.

"Pretty aren't they?" Lin looked at me. I blushed a little bit at the fact he caught me admiring buildings like a tourist. "Yeah. Yeah they are." I laughed a little bit. Then my curiosity got the best of me. "What is that one about?" I asked about the theater that was displaying Les Miserables. "That is only one of the best shows ever!" Lin shouted jokingly. "It is about this guy who gets imprisoned for nineteen years for stealing a loaf of bread, and people don't like him after he gets out." He explained it to me.

I should not have asked that question because now he is going on a full rant about how this show is the best one ever made, and that I am uncultured.

This rant goes on until we eventually reach a yellow door with a silhouette on it. Lin types in a code to the door and opens it. I see the stairs that I walked up the first time I was here, and the memories from that come rushing back. It was such an amazing experience, but that day was also so bad. I remember how I resented Daveed for saving my life, but also made an amazing connection with him and Lin that day. I remember how I was pushed into the system so fast that I couldn't even stop to say anything about it. I remember how angry my mom looked as I left. Her face is engraved in my memory forever.