Chapter 4. Hands

Sam's POV

I woke up that morning with my back aching. Sleeping on a bench is not very comfortable if you ever wanted to know. I positioned myself to where I was just sitting on the bench. I grabbed my bag from the ground and pulled out my phone to check the time. My phone displayed 7:13. I have time to make it to school. Since I am not that far from the school I decided to walk.

I was almost there when I realized I had two pretty big bags with me. My school bag, and the bag with all of my belongings. I'll burst leave the other one in Mr. Lancasters room, I don't think he will mind.

I reach the point where the school is in sight, then it comes to me. It just dawned of me, If I leave the bags in Mr. Lancaster's room he will ask about it and if I tell him he will have to report it and I will end up in foster care. That can't happen.

I get to the school door and I check the time, 7:30am. I was one of the first people here which never happens. I go straight to my locker with hopefully no one seeing me and I place one of the two bags. I am left with my school bag and books in my hand.

I decided to just go straight to my first hour, Geometry. I had missing work in there anyways that I needed help with.

I walk in and sit down at my desk in the middle of the class. I gently place my backpack down by my feet.

"I see you showed up for class today." My teacher, Mr. Dempsey spoke. "Yeah." I rolled my eyes a little bit. I know he was only joking.

"You okay?" The shorter man, with white hair asked. "Yeah. I'm alright." I lied. "Okay, if you say so." He knows something is up. "Hey, can you help me with yesterday's homework?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Yeah, what are you stuck on?" He asked as I pulled out my homework from my bag. As I put the paper on my desk I heard metal hit the floor. Both I and Mr. Dempsey looked down at my feet and I saw the blade I had in my bag migrated to the floor. Shit.

"What is this?" He bent down and grabbed the blade by my foot. He picked it up and stared at it. "Is this yours?" He looked at me. I froze. "N-No." I whispered trying to calm myself.

Mr. Dempsey nodded and went over to the trash can and threw it away. Damn it. "As I was saying, what do you need help with?"

After about twenty five minutes of us working the bell rang for everyone to go to their classes.

Students flooded in the room and I looked down at my hands. The hands that had been held by my once superhero. The hands that covered my face in times I had to defend myself from my own blood line. The hands that held the darkest memories. Memories of pain, memories of excitement, memories of regret.

Everything came flooding back to me. That night was on my mind. I thought it had been buried, but it came back to me just recently. When It happened once again. My own blood took advantage of me once more. He took everything I had from me. I was five when it first happened. And it has happened many more times in the past nine years.

I was still staring at my hands. These hands that tried to push him off. I could still feel His hands on me. I felt gross. I had to live with him for fourteen years of my life, only for him to kick me out.

"Sam." Trance was broken by Mr. Dempsey doing attendance. "Here." I say in response. I look back at my hands and they are trembling. My legs were shaking and my breath caught in my throat.

I take deep breaths to try and relax myself but it doesn't help. Everything is making it worse. The lights are too bright. The air conditioner was too loud. The kid clicking his pen to my right was doing it in a repetitive pattern and the sound seemed to grow louder with every click.