Chapter 9. Meet the Cast

Sam's POV

The Q&A ended which means that everyone is going to go get lunch. While everyone was getting up out of their seats, I remained seated. I wasn't hungry so might as well stay here.

"Mr. Lancaster?" I speak softly but loud enough for him to hear me. "Yeah?" He turns around and sees me sitting. "Can I just stay here during lunch? I'm not very hungry." I ask my teacher. He gives me a look of disappointment and sighs. "I guess, only if the security lets you. Let me go ask."

Mr. Lancaster walks away and I sigh. Almost every school is out of the building but ours. I feel bad for holding up the group.

My blue haired teacher walks back over to me and nods. So I guess I can stay. "Don't cause trouble, I know you won't but just to instill it in you." I force a smile and nod. I really just planned on going on my phone and scrolling through twitter or something.

And with that the rest of my class left the building, leaving me, almost alone, in the auditorium. I feel a sense of calm rush over me. I felt at ease. The stage consumed my thoughts. I noticed all of the little details that I had yet to discover. How each rope had its own path, how the surround's banister had so many little details on it. It felt calm.

"It is really a beautiful place." I get pulled out of my trance by a voice. One full of familiarity. I look over to the right and see him walking out. It's Lin. I tense up immediately. Why did I stay here? Stupid Sam.

I nod at this statement not trying to be rude. He sits down on the edge of the stage looking at me. "Hi, how have you been!" He seemed like he was a little kid in a candy store. "I've been okay, I've been better though." I say slightly sad but not too much.

"Aren't you supposed to be at lunch?" That question pierced my brain. Why did this man have to ask so many questions? "Yeah, I wasn't hungry though." Lin looked at me with sad eyes. Why was everyone so concerned that I wasn't hungry? Like Jesus it's not a big deal.

"Anyways, how are you?" I ask timidly, trying to break the tension. "I've been doing good, the show is great, my family is great. Just all around happiness." I smile at the joy he is radiating.

"How is Daveed?" I ask Lin. His eyes shift, like he is thinking. "Hey, would you like to come backstage? Ask Daveed yourself?" Lin offers. I really just wanted to chill by myself, but he looked expectint. "Sure." I said in a little more than a whisper.

Lin motioned for me to come up on the stage, so I got up from my spot and went to the stage. He helped pull me up and there I was, standing on stage with Lin. There were no words that needed to be said. I felt calm, just standing there was amazing.

"The theater is really cool." I say with not the utmost energy backing my statement. "It really is a magical place." Lin says, and takes my hand pulling me into the wing. I stiffen immediately. I didn't like his hands one mine. Not that they were bad, just that I don't like men touching me.

We get to a staircase and climb for what it feels like forever until we reach a hallway full of dressing rooms. Most of the doors were open and I could see in the actors rooms. We finally stop in front of one doors that says Daveed Diggs on it. I smile slightly at his name.

Lin knocks on the door and I hear a faint "come in." Lin opens the door and we find Daveed laying on his couch. "Hey Li-." Daveed stops mid sentence and looks at me and smiles. "Hey kid!" He gets up from his spot on the couch and runs over to me, wrapping me in a big hug.

I winced a little bit in pain from him touching the bruises that I had accumulated over the past week. Daveed doesn't seem to notice.

We break our embrace and he smiles. "How have you been?" He asked me. "I've been okay. I've been better though." I reply the same way I replied to Lin. "How have you been?" I ask Daveed with a smile. There was something about him that made me feel okay. "I've been good. The show is going well, it's just been really fun."