30. Vigilante in Training

On the morning of Connor's eleventh birthday, Oliver and Felicity woke him up and gifted him with a few presents. Felicity's gift was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle bedspread for his new bed. Oliver's gift was of a different nature, it was his old bow.

Slowly, Connor drew the bow out of the case and stared at it. "Wow," he breathed,"Thank you." "Connor we need to talk about a few things," Oliver said, seriously." When you are using this bow in the lair, you are to point it towards the floor and the targets only, so that there is no chance anyone could get hurt, do understand me?" Oliver asked. "Yes," Connor answered.

" If I see you playing around with the bow, it will be taken away," Oliver warned," this is a weapon that can seriously hurt someone." "Ok," Connor replied, solemnly.

By the afternoon, Oliver had Connor slapping a bowl of water. "Why do I have to so this?" Complained Connor." It will help you shoot your bow straighter," Oliver replied, remembering his frustration when he was required to do it. Finally, after an hour or two, Connor could almost slap the water without any water splashing over the edges of the bowl.

Just when Oliver was handing Connor his bow, Felicity walked into the lair, toting Sandra on her hip. Sandra, who was flourishing and had a little tuft of blond hair on her round head, clapped her chubby hands together and babbled,"Dada," when she saw Oliver. Oliver took Sandra from Felicity and kissed the top of her head. Sandra giggled.

When Oliver handed Sandra back to Felicity, she asked seductively," When are you gonna teach me to shoot a bow?"Oliver grinned, kissed Felicity, sweetly, and knelt next to Connor, who was wielding his bow. "Take your stance," he said. Connor did so and slowly pulled back the empty string. "Good, good," Oliver praised," but lower your elbow just a bit." Oliver guided Connor's arm down a bit, then reassuringly squeezed his shoulder.

Connor held the position for a moment, then released the string. Oliver insisted Connor practice this multiple times before he was allowed an actual arrow. After Connor had done this at least 20 times, Oliver selected an arrow and handed it to Connor. Connor carefully took the arrow and fitted it into his bow. He took his stance, before releasing the string and sending the arrow, flying into the target.

The arrow hit the second ring from the middle. Oliver and Felicity clapped, proudly, and earned a smile from Connor.

The rest of the day, Connor shot arrows into that crappy target until he got a bullseye.