Chapter 15: Trouble

Upon returning home, Beomgyu relied on his stick for support instead of Yeonjun's arms, a transition that left him feeling somewhat adrift. Suppressing his emotions, Beomgyu entered the room ahead of Yeonjun, settling onto his bed. Meanwhile, Yeonjun followed, locking the door behind him with a practiced hand.

The aftermath of the kiss hadn't made things awkward between them, at least not for Beomgyu. However, Yeonjun was grappling with a maelstrom of complex feelings.

Yeonjun approached Beomgyu, inquiring, "Feeling hungry?" Beomgyu responded with a slight shake of his head, indicating his lack of appetite. Yeonjun followed up, asking, "Bored, maybe?" Beomgyu once again shook his head, signifying that boredom wasn't the issue either. After a brief pause, Yeonjun asked, "Any pain?" Beomgyu shook his head once more, and in response, Yeonjun nodded understandingly. 

As Yeonjun was preparing to head towards his own bed, Beomgyu's voice halted him. "Yeonjun?" he called out, prompting Yeonjun to turn around and respond with a questioning "hm?" Beomgyu continued, "Remember... you said that if I did well in the mission, you'd consider me your friend?" he immediately regretted saying this.

"Yeah... so?" Yeonjun replied, his tone curious. Beomgyu's disappointed voice followed, "So, does that mean we're friends now?" Yeonjun seemed to ponder this for a moment before responding, "Do you really need a friend that much?" Beomgyu nodded, expressing his desire. Yeonjun conceded, "Alright then... let's just say we're friends," giving in to Beomgyu's wish.

"Thanks," Beomgyu mumbled, his words barely audible. As Yeonjun resumed his path toward his bed, a thought struck him, causing him to turn back toward Beomgyu. He spoke hesitantly, "Uh... I've got a mission lined up for tomorrow, so I'll arrange for you to be dropped off at Taehyun's." Beomgyu questioned, "Alone? Don't we have to do missions with partners?" Yeonjun explained, "You're injured, Beomgyu." Accepting this, Beomgyu nodded and inquired, "When will you be back?" Yeonjun answered, "Around 45 hours, assuming nothing goes wrong."

If nothing goes wrong.

Beomgyu's reaction was passive, yet his gaze was fixed on Yeonjun. An unfamiliar sensation stirred within Yeonjun's chest. He found himself compelled to ask Beomgyu, "Why do you look at me like that?" Beomgyu's expression shifted to one of concern. Had he unintentionally caused some distress to Yeonjun? "Like what?" he inquired, seeking clarification. However, before Beomgyu could receive an answer, Yeonjun took a deliberate step closer, positioning himself right in front of Beomgyu. In a bold move, he then brought himself even closer, their faces nearly touching, and softly uttered, "This is what I mean – these eyes."

Beomgyu blinked several times, his gaze locked onto Yeonjun's fox-like eyes. Beomgyu wasn't accustomed to being so irrational, but a suspicion had taken root in his mind – the possibility that he might be in love with Yeonjun. While he recognized the potential dangers of harboring such a notion, Beomgyu couldn't escape the growing realization. Was he truly experiencing love? He believed he was, yet a conflicted feeling lingered, and part of him wished this weren't the case.

"Yeonjun?" Beomgyu's question hung in the air as he continued to gaze into Yeonjun's eyes. Yeonjun inclined his head slightly in response, his attention focused on Beomgyu. Lost in those captivating eyes, Beomgyu began, "I... I think—I... it's..." Yeonjun let out a sigh of impatience, prompting Beomgyu to continue, "What would you do if I told you I love you?" He immediately regretted asking this, ofcourse. A tense silence enveloped them for about twenty seconds before Yeonjun finally replied, "I'd feel sorry for you." Beomgyu released a breath he hadn't realized he was holding and attempted to lighten the mood with a jest, saying, "Hah, that's why... I'll never fall in love with you." However, Yeonjun keenly picked up on the uncertainty in Beomgyu's voice and questioned, "Why? Do you think you're falling in love with me, Beomgyu?"