Chapter 31: Wreck

The scene in the ball hall was a chaotic mess, with a multitude of people jostling and bumping into each other. Amid the commotion, a tipsy lady stumbled between Felix and Beomgyu, causing a moment of disorientation. Beomgyu lost track of Felix in the crowd, but he was convinced that Felix had recognized him.

As Beomgyu's eyes scanned the room, he suddenly felt strong arms helping him to his feet. "You okay?" Yeonjun's concerned voice reached his ears, as Beomgyu's face had turned a shade of crimson from the intense encounter.

The lights in the hall dimmed and the music slowed to a soft, anticipatory melody, signaling their arrival. Yeonjun swiftly grasped Beomgyu's arm, guiding him to a discreet spot right beneath a corner, positioned behind the gathering of partygoers.

"Be alert, okay?" Yeonjun whispered urgently. "You'll shoot Charlotte, I'll deal with Ben, and then our team will rescue us." Beomgyu nodded, though he couldn't help feeling doubtful about the success of their plan.

As the lights dimmed and the music slowed to a gentle tempo, signaling the imminent arrival of the prince and princess, a hushed anticipation swept through the grand hall. The attendees, dressed in elegant attire, began to synchronize their movements, gracefully gliding across the floor in disciplined harmony.

Yeonjun's eyes sparkled with a mix of excitement and determination. He reveled in the atmosphere, ready to execute the plan that could bring him the freedom he craved for so long.

Beside him, Beomgyu, in contrast, closed his eyes tightly, shutting out the visual spectacle before him.

Beomgyu remained unaware of the tension building within him, his body tensely held together as Yeonjun muttered "fuck". Confused, Beomgyu inquired, "What's wrong?" Yeonjun's intense gaze shifted to Beomgyu, and after a brief pause, he declared, "He's not Prince Ben."

Beomgyu, perplexed, followed Yeonjun's line of sight and realized that the imposter had been unveiled. The fake prince, intended to serve as a decoy, was already on display. Yeonjun's keen instincts had sensed the deception, prompting Beomgyu to question, "How do you know?"

Yeonjun, his expression grave, responded with conviction, "I can tell." The cryptic assurance left Beomgyu without further questions, his attention drawn back to the unfolding scene. There, amidst the grandeur of the hall, the fake prince and Princess Charlotte made their entrance.

"What now?" Beomgyu inquired, a tinge of anxiety in his voice. Yeonjun, maintaining composure, replied, "Let's wait and see."

Yeonjun remained composed, showing no signs of panic, while Beomgyu couldn't hide his anxiety. As they observed Charlotte, waving and smiling at the crowd, Beomgyu's eyes, concealed by his mask, locked with hers for a moment that felt too long. Suspicion gripped Beomgyu. Did she recognize him? In a panicked tone, he whispered to Yeonjun, "I think she recognized me." Yeonjun, seemingly unfazed, responded with calm assurance, "Perfect." Beomgyu shot him a worried look. Yeonjun took his hand, leading them upstairs, but Beomgyu couldn't shake the feeling that Charlotte had indeed seen through the disguise.

"What next?" Beomgyu questioned, a sense of urgency in his voice. Yeonjun calmly replied, "We wait for her to come upstairs and hand us over the prince herself." Beomgyu, now understanding Yeonjun's masterful plan, followed him to the second top floor, where few people lingered. As they halted near a large room beside the staircase, Beomgyu looked visibly pale. Yeonjun gently cupped his cheeks, feeling the coldness of his skin. "You're doing great, Beomgyu. What's wrong?" Yeonjun inquired. Beomgyu hesitated, whispering, "I'm scared." Yeonjun's hands left his cheeks, intertwining with both of Beomgyu's. "Scared of what?" Yeonjun asked, holding Beomgyu's gaze as uncertainty lingered in the air. "Not sure," Beomgyu admitted, his eyes fixated on their joined hands.

"You're scared of nothing, trust me. I'll never let anything happen to you," Yeonjun asserted, attempting to reassure Beomgyu. However, in this moment of uncertainty, Beomgyu remained unconvinced.

Beomgyu hesitantly nodded, attempting to alleviate Yeonjun's concern. The sound of approaching footsteps caught their attention, and both of them tensed. It was Charlotte, her eyes betraying a sense of suspicion as she scanned the surroundings. As her footsteps neared the upper floor, Yeonjun swiftly pulled her into the nearest room, muffling her protests with a tissue pressed against her face.

Inside the room, Beomgyu and Yeonjun kept a tight grip on Charlotte. The atmosphere became tense, and Charlotte struggled against their hold, her muffled protests barely audible. Yeonjun whispered to Beomgyu, "We need to keep her quiet until we figure out where's prince"

Beomgyu nodded, his heart pounding with anxiety. The room they were in seemed to be some sort of storage area, dimly lit and filled with assorted items covered in white sheets. A room beomgyu didn't know existed in the palace. Yeonjun continued to hold Charlotte firmly, and Beomgyu looked around for something to further secure her silence.

Spotting a roll of duct tape on a nearby shelf, Beomgyu grabbed it and tore off a piece, carefully placing it over Charlotte's mouth. Despite the urgency of the situation, he couldn't shake the feeling of guilt and unease. Charlotte's eyes were in pure shock, and Beomgyu couldn't help but wonder if she truly recognized him or if she was just scared.

Yeonjun checked the corridor cautiously before turning to Beomgyu. "The prince will come looking for her, won't he?"

Charlotte's muffled protests turned into desperate pants as she tried to convey something, her eyes filled with a mix of fear and determination.

Meanwhile, Yeonjun seemed more determined to play this dangerous game. He leaned in, a wicked smile playing on his lips as he taunted Charlotte, "Feels good, doesn't it? Queen-to-be, aren't you?"

Charlotte's eyes burned with frustration, and she continued to struggle against Yeonjun's hold. Her muffled attempts to speak only added to the noise in the room. Yeonjun added another cruel remark, "So sad you won't live long enough to be the queen."

With a swift move, he removed the piece of cloth covering Charlotte's mouth, causing her to cough in pain. Beomgyu, standing anxiously beside her, couldn't shake off the fear of an imminent end. Thoughts of his impending doom raced through his mind, painting a grim picture of what awaited him.

"If you take me to the real Prince Ben," Yeonjun declared, his tone laced with a chilling edge, "I'll consider making your death more bearable. What do you say?"

As Charlotte, still catching her breath, attempted to speak, she struggled to point toward Beomgyu. Her fragmented words hung in the air, leaving Yeonjun perplexed. "He... he... is..." she managed to utter between labored breaths, trying to gesture towards Beomgyu.

IT'S THE END.IT'S THE END. IT'S THE END IT'S THE END.IT'S THE END. IT'S THE END IT'S THE END.IT'S THE END. IT'S THE END IT'S THE END.IT'S THE END. IT'S THE END IT'S THE END.IT'S THE END. IT'S THE ENDIT'S THE END.IT'S THE END. IT'S THE END

I CANNOT LET THIS HAPPEN...