Chapter 24: Cheat

"I think I'll be happier if I..." He hesitated for a moment, his thoughts tracing back through the years when he had clung to a singular purpose, a driving force that kept him going. Finally, he spoke, "If I complete my mission... maybe."

As the words left his lips, Beomgyu's heart sank. He could die for Yeonjun's happiness, but a chilling thought gnawed at him: What if-

"When I think about it... the day I break free from this prison, this cage of guilt, mistakes, and a past that no longer defines me... a life where I am no longer Daniel but simply Yeonjun... where I can lead a regular existence and grow old, perhaps in some corner of this world... with you... that thought, Beomgyu, it makes me smile. It fills me with happiness," he said with a radiant grin, his eyes fixed on Beomgyu.

Beomgyu, in turn, felt himself drown in that smile. That damned smile.

"You will... definitely find happiness," Beomgyu whispered almost under his breath, his voice tinged with quiet assurance.

Yeonjun's response came like a gentle breeze, carrying warmth and sincerity, "With you."

Beomgyu simply nodded.

"So... what's your definition of happiness?" Yeonjun asked, his gaze fixed on something distant, not meeting Beomgyu's eyes.

Beomgyu took a deep breath, turned to face Yeonjun, and replied with uncertainty, "I... don't know."

Yeonjun simply nodded, his smile carrying a reassuring warmth, and said, "You'll know very soon."

After a brief interlude of silence, Beomgyu mustered the courage to broach a delicate subject with Yeonjun. "You... never told me about..." He hesitated, aware that his curiosity might lead to regret later, yet unable to resist asking. Yeonjun, perceptive to Beomgyu's unspoken thoughts, finished Beomgyu's sentence for him, saying, "My past?" Beomgyu nodded in acknowledgment.

Yeonjun offered a response, his tone carrying a hint of resignation, "Everyone knows it... you've probably heard it already." Beomgyu, however, added with a gentle smile, "Not from your perspective."

Yeonjun's gaze shifted downward to his hands, and he softly uttered, "My perspective won't transform me into a hero." He paused briefly before adding, "It won't alter..."

But Beomgyu interjected, his voice filled with empathy, "You don't have to be a hero."

Yeonjun locked eyes with Beomgyu for a moment, and then Beomgyu reassured him, "You were a survivor too."

"And I created a survivor too, and now... I'll kill that survivor," Yeonjun declared, his words sending a shiver down Beomgyu's spine. Beomgyu was all too familiar with this declaration, yet each time he heard it, it still had the power to unsettle him.

When Beomgyu didn't offer a response, Yeonjun turned his gaze toward him. Beomgyu appeared lost in thought until Yeonjun gently planted a peck on his lips, bringing him back to the present. As he pulled away, Yeonjun proposed, "Wanna head over to Soobin's? If you're feeling bored."

Yeonjun knew that Beomgyu enjoyed spending time with Kai and Soobin. Beomgyu's face lit up, and he asked, "You'll come with me?"

Yeonjun couldn't help but smirk and replied playfully, "I mean... It was pretty entertaining last time." Beomgyu burst into laughter.

***

Never in his wildest imagination had Beomgyu expected to witness the scene unfolding right before his eyes. Yeonjun and Soobin, both inebriated beyond measure, were sprawled out on the floor, whispering incredulous words to each other.