Chapter 34: Finale (part 2)

For three agonizing days, Yeonjun found himself in the same lost state, kneeling by Beomgyu's bedside, the rhythmic hum of the ventilator serving as a haunting soundtrack to their shared suffering.

He wished it was him in the pain instead of Beomgyu. The events unfolded with such rapidity, a flah of time that left Yeonjun wondering to understand why they were in xantheria, alive against all odds.

In the torment of those three days, Yeonjun found fleeting comfort only in the brief visits from Taehyun. Their exchanges were mere glances, limited by the haze of medication that clouded Yeonjun's senses during each encounter. This particular day, however, was different. The medication had faded, leaving Yeonjun with a chilling clarity. He was fully awake, fully aware of the battle Beomgyu was fighting for his life.

His gaze fell upon Beomgyu's pale, gaunt face, the once vibrant color replaced by a sickly yellow. His skin, usually warm and smooth, was now stretched tight over his bones, cold and numb to the touch. Each shallow breath Beomgyu took was a painful reminder of how close he was to the edge.

Yeonjun, eyes still fixed on Beomgyu, heard a faint creak at the door. He didn't have the energy to turn his head, but he registered the sound of approaching footsteps. He felt a hand on his shoulder, and a voice, soft and familiar, spoke. "You're up?"

Yeonjun slowly turned his head, his face etched with misery. He met Taehyun's eyes, which were filled with pain and understanding. Yeonjun tried to speak, but no words came out. His throat was constricted with emotion, and tears welled up in his eyes.

Without a word, Taehyun knelt down beside him. He enveloped Yeonjun in a tight hug, and the dam broke. Yeonjun's tears flowed freely, a torrent of grief and relief washing over him. Taehyun held him close, offering silent comfort in their shared sorrow.

With each sob that wracked his body, Yeonjun felt a tiny fragment of the suffocating pain loosen its grip. Taehyun held him close, his own voice trembling as he spoke. "I'm so sorry, Yeonjun... I was late."

Taehyun's apology was a veiled confession of his own burden. He had been the one entrusted with their safety, the one who saved them from the icy depths of the sea. He had used the floating hole as soon as he was alerted to their plight, but he was too late.

They couldn't save Soobin. And Beomgyu... Beomgyu clung to life by a thread, his fate hanging precariously in the balance.

yeonjun felt a surge of anger bubbling within him. He wanted to scream, to rage against the unfairness of it all. Why Soobin? Why Beomgyu? Why did they have to suffer so much?

Yeonjun's voice cracked as he pleaded, "Taehyun... why is he like this? What's wrong, please... don't hide it from me."

Taehyun let out a heavy sigh, his eyes filled with a painful uncertainty. "He's in a coma," he murmured, his voice barely above a whisper.

Yeonjun turned his gaze back to Beomgyu, his heart sinking with each shallow breath he took. "Can he..." he began, his voice trembling, but Taehyun cut him off.

"I... I have no idea, Yeonjun," he confessed, his eyes welling up. "He was shot... thrice, in very... sensitive areas."

Yeonjun's breath hitched, a gasp escaping his lips as the gravity of the situation settled in. Taehyun's next words were like a punch to the gut.

"We've done all the surgeries we could to save him," he explained, his voice thick with emotion. "But... I don't know if he'll wake up or not."

Yeonjun stared at Beomgyu, His mind raced, searching for any shred of hope.