Chapter 14: his own tragedy

With Jeremy's departure, Daniel's focus shifted to the cupboard before him. The internal struggle persisted; the question of ending Ben's life remained an active consideration, yet Daniel exercised restraint. In the midst of this internal turmoil, an overarching dilemma loomed – the impending prospect of his own death. The notion of facing his end plagued him; was it acceptable to embrace death while carrying the burden of unresolved choices? Regret?

Within the confines of this existential contemplation, a counterpoint emerged – a conviction that if he kills Ben, his final moments would be marked by a sense of honor. Fulfilling his father's charge, exacting vengeance, and preserving the legacy he held dear, all seemed attainable through such an act. However,Even as he grappled with the weight of his father's directive, there was a resolute hesitance, an invisible barrier that stayed in his hand.

Why did the act, the culmination of his father's wishes, feel unattainable? Why did the notion of ending the child's life, no matter the circumstances, seem insurmountable? These questions posed a conundrum that gnawed at Daniel's conscience. The child's innocence, his vulnerability – they were formidable adversaries against the rigid directives of vengeance.

Perhaps it was the echo of his own past, a reflection of the brother he had lost, that prevented him from taking that final step. Or maybe it was the realization that within the grand tapestry of power and retribution, the threads of compassion and mercy were equally potent.

Gazing downward through the window, Daniel's eyes met the expanse of the ocean, an endless stretch that met the horizon. He could see the ship approaching the palace. The urgency in George's voice cut through the air like a clarion call, rousing Daniel from his contemplation. "Prince Daniel," George's voice brimmed with urgency, "You must jump, this instant." Daniel's acknowledgment was swift – he comprehended the weight of his identity as a crown prince, the significance of his survival to his kingdom's fate. As his body prepared to propel itself through the window, he cast a lingering glance toward the cabinet, etching the memory of the hidden child into his mind.

However, the moment was abruptly shattered – the ship they had pinned their hopes on was besieged. The vessel, their final refuge, succumbed to the onslaught of their enemies. In the midst of this sudden reversal of fortune, George's words tumbled out in a rush: "What do we do now? Our escape route has been compromised." Before Daniel could frame a response, the ominous symphony of approaching gunfire echoed, each pop drawing nearer. Urgency punctuated George's next exclamation: "Jump!"

Daniel's gaze swung between the inviting expanse of ocean and the encroaching threat. Taking a steadying breath, he gathered himself, his heart a crescendo of determination. The next heartbeat, however, introduced a stark interruption. In the blink of an eye, a tragedy unfolded – George, his loyal companion, was felled by a gunshot, his body crumpling as the sound of the discharge mingled with the crashing waves.

In the span of a few heartbeats, their world had transformed – the escape route obliterated, a life lost. 

Daniel's leap into the ocean was a reflex, a desperate attempt to preserve his own existence. His mind grappled with the unexplainable rush of time, each second elongating as his body soared through the air. He felt weightless, his eyes locked onto the vast sky above him while the world spun in dizzying circles.

In an instant, the serenity was obliterated – a barrage of bullets materialized, a storm of metal and malice. The windows above spat forth their deadly cargo, joining forces with unseen assailants below. The air became thick with the whirring of projectiles, an ominous symphony that crescendoed with malevolence.

Amid this tempest, the bullets found their mark, converging upon Daniel with chilling accuracy. The water's surface was punctured by their sinister arrival, each impact carving its own tale of violence into his body. Strangely, the sensation of pain seemed to retreat, overshadowed by the magnitude of the onslaught.