The Girl and the Prince

Williams Castle, England
Multi pov's
April 13th, 1830
~

             On the twentieth mark of her life, Elizabeth's father –King Harold's second in command and personal best friend– arranged a marriage for her. She was becoming 'old', and had not yet been betrothed, nor had she ever even been courted.

She, however, was quite alright with the lack of passion in her life. She never fancied the idea of being controlled by a man much less want to be a mother, at least before she got a chance to travel the world and experience all it had to offer.

If her nose was not stuck in a book, hiding somewhere in the library to avoid her daily horse back riding lessons, she was taking care of her animals.

Two rabbits–Daisy and Rose–, one duck–Bear–, and three baby squirrels –Max, Bailey, and Ruby. She found them huddled up together in the pouring rain. Just in case the mother was around she left them some food, and made a wooden home for them just in case she came back, but after three agonizingly drawn out days, she adopted them. She figured the mother just abandoned them or died a tragic death somewhere.

She hated the idea of being "given" away. How do you "give" someone else's free will away? She resents her father for this as a cause of his "sacrifice".

She hated the idea of being married to the kings son even more. Beautiful at first sight, Prince Henry had a bit of an arrogance problem. He was not very kind to others. The exact opposite of her. He often verbally abused his servants, and looked at his own father like a money bag. I guess that's because he never knew what love was. Neither of his parents had time for him. His own parents, strangers to him. He practically raised himself moral wise. All the tutors in the world couldn't fix his deeply rooted hatred for others besides himself. Besides having the face of an angel, Prince Henry was not the man for her.

"Elizabeth!" My mothers elegant voice rang through the halls of the kings castle.

"In here, Mother."  I sigh, desperately wishing the prince wouldn't show up for dinner.

The door to my guest room was soon pushed open, revealing my mother in her beautifully stitched–pink dress. "Oh you look absolutely breath taking, darling!" Her exasperated voice rang through the near emptiness of my room.

My dress was of a silk blue draping, white lace embroidering it's edges. With my corset pulled to lengths one could not begin to fathom, my breast puckered through the neckline of the elegant dress. The straps to the dress hung deeply of my shoulders, it's hold loose. My hair was released of its hold, it's loose curl pattern descending all the way down to the beginning of my waist. "Thank you, Mother."

"Come, Dear, the Prince has arrived." She engulfed my hand in her own, equally the same size, and pulled me out of the room.

We traveled down the staircase, her hands placed on my shoulders to stabilize my stance.

Upon my arrival to the dining hall, all parties stood to welcome me. The King and the Queen, my father, my siblings, and lastly the prince.

Bringing me out of my trance, my mother nudges me in my back. Taking the hint, I grip either side of my dress, placing one foot before the other, and bend my knees, bowing my head in the process.