'I Wanted to be A Hero'

Warning: Brutal Chapter

Reiner sniffled as he shuffled home. Pain seared through his feet; each step felt like he was treading on glass. His eyes fixed on the ground, watching his legs shake with every step. Scabs, scars, and scuffs marked his pale skin. A plaster covered his left knee. Dry, cracked skin peeked from the top of his socks. He winced. A quiet hiss escaped his clenched teeth. Tears flooded down his cheeks, leaving his face damp. His skin itched from where old tears had dried. He yearned for his mother, her gentle hand wiping his tears and cleaning his wounds.

As he reached his home, he quietly slipped in through the door. He was greeted by the smell of his mother's cooking. It smelled nice; he guessed it was soup. Carefully, Reiner pushed his shoes off with his toes, indenting the heel of his shoes. A habit his mother chastised him for. Reminding him that it made his shoes look messy and untidy. It was a rule he often forgot.

"I'm home," he croaked, quickly wiping the tears from his face. His balled-up fists rubbed away the streaks from his cheeks. As footsteps approached, he breathed deeply and presented a smile to his mother.

"Oh, just in time for dinner; how was your day?" Karina peered from the kitchen, wiping her hands on a floral towel. What once was a white cloth was now grey and stained. Reiner had seen that towel hanging in the kitchen for as long as he could remember.

"It was... fine," he said flatly, avoiding his mother's piercing gaze. Her head tilted, lips pressed into a firm line. Reiner braced himself.

"Are you sure? You look upset, Reiner," she asked, folding her arms. The raggedy towel dangling over her elbow. His eyes focused on the swaying of the towel, and his heart raced in his chest. Unable to meet his mother's gaze.

He struggled to answer her question. Today was another day of experiments. He was led to a room full of strangers in white coats. All are holding clipboards and pens. Magarth stood before him, detailing the nature of the test. A test of regenerative powers. Reiner could only nod. A scientist instructed him to lie on the table. He was covered only with a thin layer of paper towels. A second scientist clutched a blade and struck his leg. Reiner recalled biting his lip, stifling his cries of agony, and staring at the stump left behind. Below his knee, he was horrified to see his leg missing. Blood dripping to the tiled floor. A voice then ordered him to regenerate his leg. It was a struggle. Reiner watched in horror as the remainder of his leg slowly grew. But it wasn't the same.

"Reiner!" his mother called, snatching his attention from his mind. He blinked at her and swallowed his startled yelp.

"I'm fine, just... a hard day," he said, slowly making his way towards his bedroom. Karina noticed his knees trembling; she noticed the web-like cracks in his skin. The empty smile on her face never faltered.

"It means you're working hard, Reiner. Your father would be very proud," she said with a hopeful voice. Reiner winced as the words left her mouth. The mere word, father, made him shudder. Squeezing his eyes shut, he nodded and grasped the door handle.

"Yeah," he muttered before slipping inside.

Pressing his back on the door, he closed the door. He was shutting out the world and shutting out his mother, shutting out the day he had just experienced. For a moment, he embraced the quiet of his bedroom. He was relieved to hear nothing but silence.

After gathering the strength, he stumbled to his bed and fell forward. His face pressed into the soft cotton blanket. The pain persisted. Burning in his feet, itching his skin. Tears welled in his eyes. Soaking into the blanket. He felt his lips tremble as tightness gripped his throat. His room felt massive around him, empty and devoid. Yearning for the gentle touch of a comforting hand on his shoulder. A warm hug or even a soft pat. Even when Bertholdt helped him walk after the test, Reiner clung to him.