CHAPTER 09

Don't want no other shade of blue but you.

When Abhimanyu had planned for a cosy, friendly dinner at his place, he had specifically chosen Sunday so that everyone could make it and no have to deal with any work clashes, but to his unfortunate fate he himself got busy with two new cases that came via emergency department on Saturday night. Dr. Rajesh had specifically asked him to closely monitor them for the day, which meant he would not have any time left to personally look after the dinner preparations and have to leave it all up to his house help.

His fate wasn't that much unfortunate as Dr. Rajesh was kind enough to ask Akshara to accompany him and get her hands on her first clinical experience with Abhimanyu by her side. Abhimanyu silently thanked his stars for giving him yet another chance to spend some time with Akshara as he had been dearly missing her since two days because she was on sick leave. He had casually asked her on messages about her recovery, but nothing more than that as he didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

He was taking slow steps this time. Careful and slow steps.

"How's your foot? Did you apply the ointment regularly?" He again filled her with his concerning questions as they both headed towards the wards.

"You literally sent me fifteen messages every day reminding me to put ointment. What do you expect?" Their was annoyance in her voice with a hint of sarcasm, but all of this still couldn't obscure the gratefulness. He knew she wanted to thank him or at least appreciate him but was too stubborn to do so, and of course, he knew how stubborn his Akshara was.

"You're welcome." He gave her a teasing smile knowing well he was getting on her nerves as she simply rolled her eyes at him. A part of her was still stuck at the information Nisha gave her two days ago. She wanted to share her condolences but knew that if she brought up this topic, it would result in the breaking of her shell, and then she won't be able to bury her emotions anymore.

"And here we are. What's up, Mr. Mehra?" As they both entered the private ward, he high fived his patient with great enthusiasm, which was reciprocated by Mr. Mehra, a man in his late fortys. Akshara quietly observed the scene from a distance as a small smile unknowingly appeared on her face.

"Doing better, Doc. I'm definitely going to avoid too much caffeine from now on." Mr. Mehra declared who was bought into emergency with a complaint of excessively high blood pressure, which was due to his high consumption of caffeine despite being a hypertensive patient.

"That's my man." Abhimanyu started going over his vitals and nursing notes as Akshara was quietly processing this new side of him. She had always seen him in a grumpy mood. Even when  they were dating, he used to be soft with her only for anyone else he would be the same old grumpy Birla, so this new cheerful side of him was really surprising for Akshara especially after everything that had happened with him this past year.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Mr. Mehra, this is Akshara. Our music therapist. She has a really great voice." Abhimanyu introduced, and Akshara greeted Mr. Mehra with a nod as he smiled at her.

"That's new. Will you sing for me?" He asked with hopeful eyes as his face showed excitement, which made Akshara chuckle at his antics as she yet again nodded at him while Abhimanyu shook his head with a smile.

"Do you have any favourites?" She asked him, and the patient looked at Abhimanyu before speaking. "Let's hear Doc's preferred song today. After all, he's the one who made me all better." Mr. Mehra said, and Abhimanyu started resisting.

"What song do you want me to sing, Abhimanyu?" Her voice was soft as she asked, almost giving him flashbacks of their once happy life which got ruined because of a stupid, wicked game.

"Phir le aya dil." It came from his mouth a mere whisper as their eyes met. His heart caught up pace as she stared at him. She inhaled a deep breath before her fingers started working on the strings of the guitar, making a melodious tune.

'Phir le aya dil,
Majboor kya ki je
Raas na aya,
Rehna door kya ki je,'

Her eyes never left his as she sang the verse. The words nearly described the condition and truth of their hearts. No matter how much they hurt each other, no matter how much sadness is between them, their hearts will still find each other. They will gladly accept the blues of each other rather than finding something golden in any other human being. This was their truth. Their solace. And there's no running away from it.

'Dil keh raha,
Usay muqammal kar bhi ao,
Woh jo adhuri si baat baaki hai,
Woh jo adhuri si yaad baaki hai....'

Mr. Mehra was calmly observing the unspoken feelings that were being exchanged between the two individuals in front of him. He had lived enough to guess the amount of pain that was carried between these verses as he urged Abhimanyu to sing too, giving him a chance to state his side of the story. Abhimanyu initially resisted but couldn't say no after Mr. Mehra's umpteenth pleads as he sang the next verse.

'Kartay hain hum aaj qubool kya ki je,
Hogayi thi jo humse bhool kya ki je,
Dil keh raha,
Ussay mayassar kar bhi ao,
Woh jo dabi si aas baaki hai,
Woh jo dabi si aanch baaki hai....'

Both were left with moist eyes as the song concluded. Their gaze was broken by light sound of claps as Mr. Mehra cheered for them. Abhimanyu wiped the tears from the corner of his eyes as he shook his head before flashing a wide smile. Akshara looked at him with hurt in her eyes. A hint of guilt in her heart surfacing as she regrets never hearing his side of the story. But what could it be? The truth was so crystal clear that she didn't need any explanation at that time, or was it?

"You did amazing today. Good job!" It was almost 3 pm when they both got done with their duties for the day and were finally free to go home. Though Abhimanyu had already ordered the house help regarding tonight's dinner, he still wanted to reach home early to check on the arrangements himself.

"Thanks." She looked down with a smile before she looked at him and spoke. "I.. I was thinking of helping you. I mean... with the dinner. Today was unexpected, and I'm sure there's a lot of stuff to take care of for tonight, so if you want... I'm willing to come with you and help." She bit her lip and looked at him innocently.

"I would love to have your company." His gaze fell on her lips as she bit onto them, clearly showing how nervous she was, but this was least of Abhimanyu's worry. He couldn't look away from those lips and the way she was biting them with her teeth. Every inch in his body wanted him to grab her face and bite down on those lips just the way she was doing it right now.

"Don't. Stop doing that." He breathed. His eyes closed for a split second as she looked at him confused. "Do what?" Her eyebrows furrowed as she yet again bit her lips, unknowingly.

"This. Stop biting your lips." He stated, and she immediately took her lips out of the grasp of her teeth. "Why?" She asked. God, why was she so innocent? Abhimanyu mentally cursed himself for going over board with the scenarios in his mind.

"Get your stuff. I'll be waiting in the car." Instead of answering her, he left the place in a hurry, not being able to control his emotions anymore.

_________________________________________________

Hope you like the update!

Vote & Comment!!

Happy Reading!!!!