CHAPTER 12

Like you'd get your knuckles bloody for me.

As the friends settled around the dining table, Suresh served the steaming soup. Laughter and lively conversation filled the room as they shared stories of their work, their patients, and their lives outside the hospital. They toasted to their enduring friendship and the incredible privilege of being able to make a difference in people's lives through their work. Akshara, who was new to all of this, was silently listening to all the stories, trying to catch up on everything that Abhimanyu had done in this past year without her by his side. As the night wore on, they indulged in the homemade lasagna and enjoyed the rich flavors of the wine one of Abhimanyu’s friend had brought.

The warmth and camaraderie among these healthcare heroes were palpable, a testament to the bond they had formed over years of dedication to their profession and each other. Abhimanyu was truly content as warmth filled his heart, seeing all his friends, including himself, enjoying a much deserving get-together. Except Dr. Aditya of course, who was busy eyeing Akshara during the whole dinner —something which didn’t go unnoticed by both Abhimanyu and Akshara as Abhimanyu made a mental note to deal with him later as he decided on avoiding ruining the night as per Akshara’s request.

For dessert, Abhimanyu and Akshara’s special walnut brownies, they gathered in the cosy living room. Akshara served the brownies with some hot melted chocolate along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream as everyone enjoyed it with their mouthful. “OH MY GOD!! This hits home. SO GOOD!!” Dr. Viren exclaimed with chocolate dripping off his lips as he continued digging in the combination of warm brownies and cold ice cream.

“All thanks to Akshara. She made it.” Abhimanyu told proudly with a smile, totally forgetting about his contribution before Akshara reminded him. “Dr. Abhimanyu helped, too.” She replied with a small smile while Abhimanyu’s heart ached a little, seeing her addressing her so formally in front of his friends.

When he had imagined a life with her —them hosting parties, warm dinners, letting their friends’ crash at their house. This is simply not how he had imagined it. They were so formal, so distant with each other. This was nothing like how he wanted them to be but again when he had been given something he wanted? His trance was broken by the most annoying voice in the room as he shut his eyes in frustration.

“Really sweet, Akshara. Tasty.” Dr. Aditya wiped the ice cream from his thumb as he eyed Akshara with a smirk, making her uncomfortable under his gaze. “I mean the brownies. Real delicious.” He chuckled before his eyes met Abhimanyu’s who was shooting daggers at him.

“He loves to joke.” Srishti commented clearly, being blindsided by her boyfriend’s flirtatious behaviour as Abhimanyu took in a deep breath as he stood up with a jolt and faced Dr. Aditya. “I’m warning you!” Abhimanyu hissed in his face. Akshara, too, stood up and held onto his arm, pulling him back.

"Abhimanyu, please." Her voice was a mere whisper as she tried to get him off Dr. Aditya's face. Abhimanyu stood still, his eyes red with rage. "You're scaring me, Abhi." His eyes softened at her whimper as he turned around to look at her. The guilt was evident in her eyes. Guilt of ruining the night. He hated how she still blamed herself for everything.

"Ba..." his eyes closed for a split second as he cursed his fate once again. "Akshara. I'm sorry." He held her hands, caressing his fingers over her knuckles as he totally forgot about Dr. Aditya, while looking into her eyes.

"Let's play a game, guys. There is too much tension in the air." Dr. Kabir tried to lighten up the environment as Abhimanyu rolled his eyes at him. "Game?" Srishti raised an eyebrow at him while Dr. Aditya stood there with an uninterested look.