CHAPTER 22

You don't need to save me. But would you run away with me?

“What have we done, Abhi? How do we clean up this mess?”

Abhimanyu looked at her, perplexed. He knew that the truth would come out eventually, and he was prepared for this moment, but what after that? He didn’t think about the aftermath of the truth. She was right. How were they supposed to clean up this mess? Do they act like the past never happened and move on with their individual lives? Or should they give their relationship another chance? But the main question that was making a halt to his decision was, does she still love him? If not, can he still make her fall in love with him again?

“Abhi? Say something, please..? Her eyes desperately pleaded for an answer, a decision. She wanted him to choose her this time, choose them. She didn’t have the courage to lose him all over again.

He wiped away his tears before reaching out for her hand and gently holding it between in his hands, giving it a gentle squeeze, assuring her in ways his words could never. “Akshara, I…..

“Akshu, Abhi. The dinner is ready. Eat something first. I know both of you haven’t had anything since morning.” They both heard Manjiri calling them from outside the room.

“Give us five minutes, maa.” Abhimanyu shouted back. He opened his mouth to say something but was immediately stopped by Akshara.

“This is not something we can talk about in five minutes. Let’s have dinner first.” Akshara told him. “Okay. I’ve waited long enough. I can wait for a few more hours.” He replied. Akshara turned around to leave the room, pulling her hand away from his grip, but his grip only tightened.

“Please.” He looked at her, and she didn’t have the heart to say no to those enchanting eyes. She smiled a little before the duo walked out of the room hand in hand.

A smile unknowingly formed on Manjiri’s face when she saw Abhimanyu and Akshara walk into the dining room, hand in hand. Aroma of freshly made homemade food filled Akshara’s nostrils, deporting her two years back in time. Her eyes welled up seeing all her favourite dishes lined up on the dining table.

“I made your favourite kachoris, Akshu. I stopped making them years ago when you….” Manjiri bit her tongue and immediately whispered a sorry towards Akshara, who just shook her head and engulfed Manjiri in a warm hug.

“I missed you so much. I’m so sorry about Harsh Uncle. I should’ve been there for you. I’m so sorry.” She wept in her arms. Abhimanyu watched both his ladies as he yet again mentally cursed himself.

“Shhhh….. Bacha, you don’t have to apologize for anything. I understand.” Understand. Such a simple word but holds so much importance. How many people are there around us who truly understand our situation, our emotions, and our conditions without judging us?

“Maa…. I’m really hungry now. Let’s have some food, please. You both can continue your reunion later.” Abhimanyu groaned, making the environment lighter. He hated seeing tears in Akshara’s eyes.

Manjiri laughed at her son’s antics before gently separating from Akshara and placing a kiss on her forehead. “You’re still so jealous of our bond, Abhi.” Manjiri shook her head, making Akshara chuckle as all of them took their respective seats.

Abhimanyu carefully observed Akshara during the whole dinner, making sure she was getting enough food in her stomach. He was concerned about her, especially after what happened last night. Last night. It clicked him. He was yet to fill Akshara about the case. He was planning on telling her everything the moment he stepped inside the house, but change in dynamics didn’t let him. He mentally made a note to talk about it with Akshara after dinner.