CHAPTER 11

I pretend you're mine all the damn time.

The duo sat down on the living room sofa with a huff after finally getting done with baking brownies, but it was the maniac dancing that had worn them out. Both let out a laugh as soon as they locked eyes and saw each other's chocolate and flour covered faces. They still had to get ready for the dinner but decided to sit down for a little while and catch their breath before hitting up with their dress up session. Abhimanyu picked up the water bottle from the table and poured it down in the glass before gulping it in a go as he eyed a very Akshara.

"Umm... I need to get dressed. Where should I...??" She fidgeted with her fingers as she looked at him chugging down water. The droplets of water dripping down from his chin to his chest, making it hard for her to stay focused as she blinked a few times before again meeting his eyes.

"You can use my room." He was quick to reply as he stood up from his position. "But you? Where would you...?" She too stood up and started moving behind him, down the hallway.

"No worries. I'll be in maa's room." He turned to look at her as he stopped just outside his room. He opened the bedroom door and motioned her to go inside before heading towards the other room, giving her some space.

Akshara stood at the doorstep, her heart pounding with a mixture of anxiety and nostalgia. She hadn't been in this room since their breakup. With a hesitant breath, she stepped inside. The room was dimly lit, the soft glow of the bedside lamp casting a warm, familiar aura. Memories flooded back to her as she took in the sight of his room —the posters on the wall, the cosy reading nook by the window, and the scent of his cologne that still lingered in the air.

As she further walked into the room, her eyes landed on the number of picture frames on the wall in front of his bed. There were some family pictures, some with his college friends, his graduation day clicks, and... her heart skipped a beat when she saw their memories hanging on the wall in the form of pictures. Their smiles were the brightest thing in the whole room as she traced her fingers over their pictures. They looked so pure, so innocent, and so in love.

"Why?" Tears welled in her eyes as her mind refused to accept that he still cared about them enough to let these beautiful memories hang on his wall. A sob left her mouth as she clutched her mouth tightly with her hands to suppress them. Thousands of questions ran inside her mind as she wiped the tears from her eyes and headed towards the bathroom in order to freshen up.

Akshara took her time getting ready in her outfit for the night —a sultry black crop top that accentuated her curves and a flowing ankle-length skirt that whispered with every step She completed the look with a delicate silver necklace that rested elegantly against her collarbone and a pair of black stiletto heels. Her hair was left in loose curls with little to no makeup done.

With a deep breath, Akshara opened the door and stepped into the dimly lit hallway. The aroma of brownies mixed with other delicious food filled her nostrils as she headed towards the living room. Abhimanyu stood there wearing a decent white button downed shirt paired up with black dress pants with his hair slicked back, and his two opened buttons of shirt giving away the sight of his broad chest making him look no less than those billboard models.

Akshara stood behind him and observed him struggling with setting down his collar as he cursed under his breath. "May I?" She had no idea why she offered him for help in the first place as the words slipped out of her tongue.