Chapter 1

Amara

In three months, the queen will give birth to twins. One with wings as white as snow and the other with wings of darkness. On their eighteenth birthday, they must fight to the death on order to bring forth a true successor to the throne.

I couldnt stop thinking about the prophecy that was delivered by Arsenio. Exactly three months have passed, and I now find myself standing outside the queens chambers with King Thorin. I winced every time I heard the queen cry out in pain. Giving birth is tough, I know as Ive been through it.

Thorin turned to me, his pine green eyes glistening with tears of joy and his grey hair damp with sweat. Just think, Amara. He began, taking my hand in his own. Any moment now, I could be the father to twins. His wrinkles stood out vividly every time he smiled.

Im very happy for you, your majesty. I humbly bowed out of respect.

There is no need for formalities when its just us. Please rise, my old friend. The king took my hand once more and smiled again. When my children are born. I would like for you to help Idina and I to raise them.

It would be my honour, Thorin.

Another cry of pain was heard from the queens chambers as a nurse came running out. Thorin turned to the Chameleon midwife with concern evident in his facial expression. Whats happening, Marlowe? The king asked.

The midwife swiftly curtsied and made eye contact with Thorin. I have good news and bad news, your majesty.

Well go on. I urged on.

The good news is that youre a father to two healthy children, a boy and a girl.

And the bad news? Thorins forehead creased with worry. Is Idina alright?

Thats the problem, the Chameleon began. The other nurses and I fear that she wont make it to dawn.

I could tell that Thorins heart dropped, he had loved Idina since the three of us were small. The king pushed past Marlowe and into the bedroom. I, being the curious person I am, followed him inside to see what was going on.

The queens chamber was the most elegant room in the palace, certainly designed for comfort. There was a large window that led out to a balcony on one wall, a door that when opened would reveal a bathroom, numerous bookshelves, and an extravagant canopy bed. Queen Idina lay in her bed, her hair dishevelled and her skin a ghostly pale.

Thorin was already at Idinas side, their hands intertwined as the king shed a tear. I cant bear to lose you, Idina. The king sobbed. Youre all thats been keeping me sane.

Not anymore, my love, the queen quietly spoke, her lavender wings shifting ever so slightly. You now have two children that will brighten this palace.

The queen began to cough uncontrollably while Thorin grew more worried. I shrugged it off and made my way over to the two cribs in the corner. Inside were two infants, one female and the other male. They both had featherless wings and were sound asleep. Well, the girl was. The baby boy gazed up at me with large blue eyes the colour of sapphires. I dont know what it was that I suddenly felt, but it was as if a small voice was telling me he would need me in the future.

§§§

Elix squirmed in my arms as I tried to soothe him. Everyone knows it is very improper to not behave at a funeral, no matter the age. Thorin stood beside me in tears, slightly swaying Everly in his arms. I reached my hand out to him and placed it on his shoulder, somehow managing to balance the restless prince in the one arm.

We both watched as the queens casket was lowered into the ground, neither of us brave enough to speak. Once the coffin was in place, the contraption that lowered it was brought back up. One of the Chameleon lieutenants entered the grounds, dressed in black with a shovel in her hands. She placed it on the ground next to the pile of dire and went to stand with her fellow soldiers.

Thorin handed Everly to me so that he could say goodbye one last time. He walked over to the edge of the grave and picked up the shovel. He scooped up a segment of the soil and threw it over the casket in the ground. The king shed a tear once more and walked back over to me.

Thorin took both of his children out of my arms, and I made my way to the dirt mound. The shovel was quite rusty on the edge but was still functional. I adjusted my hands on the grip as I collected a portion of the soil. As the dirt hovered over the coffin, I peered in the hole. Idina was a good friend of mine and we all will miss her dearly.

Long live the queen, I muttered under my breath as I dumped the dirt onto the casket.