Chapter 13

Atticus

What was happening to me? I had only just met these two travellers and I let them into my home to stay for a night or two. They could be murderers, maybe thats why they were planning such a long trip. And whats worse, Ive fallen head over heels for one of them. Everly has such beautiful blue eyes and shes determined to complete her quest; I admire that in a person. I really need to get my head out of the clouds.

§§§

The door opened and Everly walked through, ditching her bag by the wall. I sat up in my sleeping bag and grinned. The princess was in an oversized grey tunic and black shorts. I watched as she pulled back the covers of the bed and climbed in.

You look comfortable, I pointed out as Everly found a position to stay in for the night.

Most definitely. I dont know why I fought you for this bed in the first place. She sighed and laid back, spreading out her wings and letting them hang over the edge of the bed.

I just chuckled and looked up at the ceiling, memorising the pattern made to look like the underside of a mushroom. Well sleep well, princess, I yawned and rolled over, letting the darkness guide me to dreamland. I heard a faint goodnight before I entered the subconscious world.

§§§

The forest was dense and dark, creepy noises of birds and nocturnal critters filled the overbearing silence. Twigs and dry leaves crunched and snapped under my feet as I made my way through the woods. The only source of light was the full moon, although it could hardly be seen through the thick canopy of trees.

Wolves howling and crows squawking, every noise set me on edge and making me jump constantly. The forest got darker as I made my way through, making the essence creepier and creepier. Bats flew from trees as branches snapped from their take-off, one falling at my feet.

Shadows filtered themselves through the tree trunks, whispering incoherent phrases. Scared, I crowded myself at the base of a thick tree, pulling my knees to my chest. Something about this part of the forest was quite familiar and it was haunting.

A crack of a stick broke me from my thoughts, snapping my head in the direction of the noise. Out of the trees came a hooded figure holding a basket, making their way to where Im huddled up. The figure bent down at my feet and placed the basket down, causing whatever was inside of it to start crying.

The mystery person stood up and removed the hood, letting her long red hair fall past their shoulders. They then looked me in the eye, deep blue meeting emerald, green. The woman looked young, maybe in her early twenties or late teenage years. She then spoke in a soft voice, so quiet that I could hardly hear it. Im sorry, Atticus. But I need to put my mistakes behind me. At that, the woman left into the woods, leaving her child in the basket.

Wait. The childs name is Atticus, my name is Atticus. Scared, I crawled over to the basket, horrified of what I might see. The basket was weaved from bamboo strands and the cloth was a pine green colour. My hand shakily reached to pull back the blanket, my eyes clamped shut. When I reopened them, I was met with bright red hair, freckles and emerald-green eyes. No, I whispered. No. No, no, no, no!